Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rear Mech Help – Please…….
  • Cotters
    Free Member

I am running a X-9 Rear Mech with X-7 Shifters on a 2010 Orange Crush. I can’t get the mech into the smallest cog (highest gear – 27) even if I wind out the high screw so the stop is none existent and slacken the cable right off. It did go in a few times, but as soon as I ride it, it stops in the second smallest cog and the last shift on the shifter does nothing.

I have messed with it for nights now, can someone please put me out of my misery………. 😥

TheSlider
    Free Member

Have you changed your cables lately ? If it did work a couple of times it could just be sticky cables and time to get some new inners and outers.

mattstreet

Could be worth checking if the cassette hasn’t worked a bit loose too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cotters
    Free Member

Cheers – it’s a new bike so the cables should be ok. I’ll check the cassette though (i’d not thought of that).

PJay
    Free Member

If the cable is unbolted does the jockey wheel line up with the smallest cog? If not, and assuming that the stop is set correctly, could something be bent – the mech or hanger perhaps?

bassspine
    Free Member

PJ beat me to it.

If you think the limit screws have gone out of adjustment the FIRST thing to check is: have you bent the mech hanger?

mintimperial

It’s probably not screws, cables, alignment or anything else. There is a problem with some X9 rear mechs: the spring simply isn’t strong enough to pull it to the end of its range (or the rivets are too tight, it amounts to the same thing). I have one and it had the same problem really badly when I first got it, I thought I was going mad having tried all my usual derailleur voodoo to no avail. I sort-of fixed it finally by pulling it off the bike and spending half an hour flexing it and soaking it in WD40. Then I whacked the rivets with a centrepunch a few times. It’s much better now, but in any significant amount of grit or mud the problem resurfaces.

I’ve just ordered a new, different mech to replace it because I’m a bit sick of it. If I were you I’d go back to the shop, show them the problem, and get it swapped for something that’s not SRAM X9.

Cotters
    Free Member

Spot on mintimperial – I have just spent another 2 hours messing with the cable tension, cassette, mech hanger….but after all that I found that I could pull the mech onto the smallest sprocket and as you say the spring simply ain’t strong enough.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rear Mech Help – Please…….’ is closed to new replies.