Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rear mech help
  • thejesmonddingo

I've just dug my old bike out in an attempt to get fit,but think I need a new rear mech,it's 2002 XTR,which current model can I use?
    Ian

Toddboy
    Free Member

Save money and go singlespeed, 😆

thejesmonddingo

Grossly unfit,need all the gears I can get LOL.
    Ian

muggomagic

why do you think you need a new mech? in terms of what you can use now, it will only be dependant on how many gears you have. if it's 9 then stick with a shimano one and you'll be fine.

thejesmonddingo

Shifting is sloppy,jockey wheel bearings are shagged.I'm confused by rapidrise,top/normal etc,we never had those,one size fitted all.
    Ian

coatesy
    Free Member

Pretty much anything from Deore upwards will work fine. Rapid rise(low normal)means the mech rests in low gear(large sprocket)with no cable tension, top-normal rests at the smallest sprocket. Shadow type mechs stick out to the side of the bike less than ordinary types and have a shorter section of cable to feed them (make sure it's not too short as it will restrict movement of the mech when you set up the B-tension screw properly which is necessary for the best shifting.).Long and short cage are self explanatory, but long cages cope better with chain slack over wide gear ranges, allowing silly gears like big-big or small-small to be used.
    Hope you're less confused now.

thejesmonddingo

Yes,thank you very much.
    Ian

Sum
    Free Member

Shifting is sloppy,jockey wheel bearings are shagged.

It may be a case your bike just needs servicing after not being used for some time – adjusting the indexing of the gears and fitting new gear cables and jockey wheels may do the trick. You may not need to replace the rear mech unless it's shagged in some other way?

thejesmonddingo

Sum,you're right,new cabling and clean and re-setup did the trick.
    Ian

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rear mech help’ is closed to new replies.