• This topic has 22 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Rear mech for sale – Only £1400
  • bearnecessities
    fd3chris
    Free Member

I’d give him zero. Not even for nostalgia.

warpcow
    Free Member

Ooof. I wanted one of those so badly when they first came out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

Will it work with 11 speed? 😀

ampthill

It certainly is an amazing thing

cyclistm
    Free Member

Did anyone have one? Were they any better than whatever was on offer at the time??

ferrals
    Free Member

They were anodised colours, of course they were better 😆

fasthaggis

I would buy it if it had an EU flag on it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They were anodised colours, of course they were better

😀

Some retro prices are getting silly now.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

“hand made”

Does sitting at a PC programming a CNC machine constitute hand crafting these days?

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Harrumph, I feel old now.

orangeboy
    Free Member

This ^^^^ but I refuse to act grown up

Alwasy wanted one but never did

jimw
    Free Member

A Memphis mech!
    Nice to look at. I’m not familiar with the brand- were they good?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

The chap who ran our local shop had one. Spent months tracking one down, pretty much NOS. It’d been on an unused display bike for a couple of decades. Paid about $8-900 for it. Got done badly for shipping and import stuff. Didn’t care. Had a Paul’s rear mech. Told everyone.

Turns out that the well battered m950 XTR he replaced worked better. Despite 15 years of abuse.

So he sold the Paul’s mech and put a nearly new m950 XTR mech on instead.

He made a significant profit on the deal.

chestrockwell

Seem to remember them not being as good as XTR or even XT according to MBUK way back when. Bit like the Campag stuff.

Still lovely to look at though.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

I was a Paul video the other day where they mentioned that they only had hand-operated CNC machines in the mid 90s, so these were properly hand machined/assembled etc. Never the less, all the money in the world.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I loved the look of these BITD. Even then there were reports of shoddy operation.

Surely these are ripe for a bit of reverse engineering?
    Looks to be made up of around half a dozen fairly basic CNC’d shapes, plus a couple of smaller fiddly bits.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

A fool and his money and all that! Did you operate them with a co-ax cable? Hand operated CNC 😯 to press the start button, surely hand made is a chunk of metal and a load of hand tools is it not?

ahwiles
    Free Member

depends if you think there’s any skill to operating an old (manual) Bridgeport…

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Loads of skill involved in operating a manual Bridgeport Milling machine,probably the most reliable versatile little machine you can have , owned two for over 30 years and still spot on today, if you were lucky it might have longitudinal feed and possibly a quill feed.

mattrballen

Unless these were far better than ProShift, I found anything Shimano far better BITD

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was a Paul video the other day where they mentioned that they only had hand-operated CNC machines in the mid 90s, so these were properly hand machined/assembled etc. Never the less, all the money in the world.

You don’t “hand operate” a CNC machine, so I presume you mean a manually operated milling machine? Still stretching “hand made” I think!

Gunz
    Free Member

Each to their own but looking at the retro for sale page on Facebook there are a lot of people paying decent money for stuff that was pretty crud BITD (see what I did there?). I’m going off to find my green Ringle bottle cage.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Rear mech for sale – Only £1400’ is closed to new replies.