Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rear Mech Disaster: Part II
  • robbo1234biking

Ok so after last weeks disaster: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rear-mech-disaster

On my ride tonight was going up a gentle gradient (middle ring and middle rear cog) when I hear a clunk and bike stop and something go flying off. Stopped and looked to find the mech hanger had snapped, the chain ruined and the rear mech bent and jockey wheel missing:

So am I:

1.) Super unlucky
    2.) Doing something wrong?!
    3.) Manufacturing fault with the mech hanger
    4.) Enter your own excuse here

Seriously though could this be a manufacturing fault with the mech hanger that casued it to snap as it has ruined the other bits which is going to cost me more money. I got it from Evans but think I might order one from BETd if they a better manufactured. Any chance of a warranty claim? (im guessin mech hangers dont come with warranty!)

Also do you think from the pic that the rear mech is slightly bent?

unsponsored
    Free Member

I have a cnc’d one that’ll fit. Never fitted/used. Got rid of bike ages ago. £5?
    Made by pilo in israel. You’ll find them ebay.

I used to snap/bend/crack a Marin mech hanger at least once a month before I discovered the BETB ones, which now last on average six months.

trail_rat
    Free Member

did you take out the bottom jockey wheel to fit the chain through that mech ?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This happened to me a week ago. Mech into spokes and snapped mech hanger.

I checked the chain and i saw that it had snapped on a link where I had joined it (i could tell because i had joined 2 slightly different sections of sram chain)

Perhaps you should check this

nickc

That’s what mech hangers are supposed to do. It’s not your frame…

zaskar
    Free Member

Yeah the frame is saved!

Shame about the mech but it sounds like mech was the probable cause? hence the hanger did its job.

Hmm you inspired me to buy a spare hanger-been puuting it off..

takisawa2

Hangers don’t usually just snap unless the mech hits something, or the chain is suddenly under a lot of tension; maybe trapped by falling off the top / bottom of the cassette or chainsucked at the crank end.

Without sounding patronising, when you’ve set it up again why not drop into a decent bike shop for them to just have a quick look… 😐

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Robbo, same thing happened to me last weekend on my SC. Hit a rock with the mech – could have just about ridden it but the mech hanger broke. Had previously bent the mech hanger back into shape from a previous knock, and reckoned that weakened it causing it to fail this time. As others said, at least it saves the frame. 1.5 hour walk out so I am keeping a hanger in my pack from now on

trail_rat
    Free Member

the top jockey wheel going awol suggests to me that when fitting the chain the poster hasnt checked the top jockey wheel , its come loose and jammed, ripping the mech hanger off …

we have all done it at one time or another , easy mistake

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rear Mech Disaster: Part II’ is closed to new replies.