Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rear mech alignment tools
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

Sorry, I’m starting a new thread as I can’t find the recent one which spoke about the wiggle rear mech alignment tool in incredibly high regard.

I have a couple of bikes I’ve been having indexing nightmares with, so I headed over to wiggle to buy me one of these tools only to find they have been discontinued.

Does anyone have anything good to say about the CRC Brand x tools one, or should I stump up the cash for a park one.

Many thanks

cyclistm
    Free Member

Hmm, looking again, the wiggle lifeline one looks the same as the CRC brand X one.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

TBH a stick with a bolt of the right size will do the trick.
    The expensive ones are only really useful for regular workshop use and looking shiny. Mines ~10 years old and bent, still works perfectly.

scotroutes

I own a Brand X tool and use a Park one at work. I much prefer the Brand X one. That blue paint is over-rated.

cyclistm
    Free Member

That’ll do. Thanks

psycorp
    Free Member

8mm threaded rod and some nuts.

shaggy

I’ll have a Cyclus one. Its ok but the X-tools one looks more rigid. I want one of these.

mav12
    Free Member

use another wheel screw it in to the mech hanger then adjust as necessary

scotroutes

How do you know how much is necessary?

devash
    Free Member

This page might help you to decide if the Park tool is worth the extra dosh;

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/best-bicycle-derailleur-hanger-tool/

Personally, I think it is simply because the tolerances are tighter and there is less play.

iffoverload
    Free Member

the wiggle lifeline one is ok once you tighten the grub screw to get rid of any play.

TiRed

I have the Wiggle one, it works fine, is accurate and easy to use. Of course the cause of my shifting woes was cable friction not alignment, and when I tried to align properly the hanger bent then creased. I replaced it with a much better quality hanger. So go easy 😉

wilburt
    Free Member

Happy with the Wiggle one, should have bought one years ago.

Northwind

If you’ve got any old wheels, a standard threaded rear axle is a perfect fit, then all you need is something to give you a straight edge- I use a random bit of threaded bar I had in the garage, anything’ll do. Stick it through the dropouts, bolt axle into hanger, bent til they’re parallel.

paulwf

I am happy with my brand-x one – wanted the park one but it was out of stock everywhere at time.
    As others have said, tighten the grub screw and the play is removed.
    My new mech hanger was somewhat bent from the packet

sillyoldman

“scotroutes – Member
    mav12 » use another wheel screw it in to the mech hanger then adjust as necessary
    How do you know how much is necessary?”

When the two wheels are parallel you’re all good.

wrecker
    Free Member

As with all bike tool questions; the answer is Unior!
    I am thinning the Park herd (where possible; park do make some cool tools which others don’t), and gradually replacing it all with Unior, the quality is outstanding.

eskay

iffoverload – Member
    the wiggle lifeline one is ok once you tighten the grub screw to get rid of any play.

Was just about to post that the Wiggle one has too much play in it. Now where is that embarrassed emoji….

flashinthepan
    Free Member

It’s a very simple tool. Just needs to be well made with no play or bend.

I have the Park Tools one. Works well enough but is pricey for what it is.

The ‘ghetto’ methods above (old hub etc) work but are a bit of a faff

If I was buying again I’d probably go with a cheaper one.

I’d suggest buying the CRC Brand X. If it’s a bit crap you can always return it. But I suspect it’ll work just fine

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rear mech alignment tools’ is closed to new replies.