Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Rear lights with dropper posts
  • cubist
    Free Member

Any suggestions for something to get me to the start of my trails without being squished by a car? Everything seems to want to clamp to the dropper.

Add in the fact that its a full suss and all the suitable mounting points end up being relatively low down so I want something nice and bright but resilient for when I do get in to the brambles.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I don’t put a light on my bike as it gets covered in mud frequently and isn’t visible quite often and it’s easy to forget to check before riding in the road.

Instead I have one on my camel back and one on the back of my helmet.

RoterStern
    Free Member

^^This^^

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hammyuk
    Free Member

I have one on my dropper and there’s no issues – there’s enough of the lower section showing to fit it easily.

robware
    Free Member

There are some that fit to the saddle rails, though I’m yet to find one I like.

nickdavies

Mine mounts to the bottom of the dropper body no fuss, but you can get a saddle rail mount for it to raise it. Exposure flare.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got one that bolts to the seat rails

gardron
    Free Member

Normally I’ll have enough space to wrap a moon comet (other flexible mounts are available) around the frame just below the post, or have an inch of the post out the frame anyway and just wrap around that. Failing that….

Fibreflare – attached to seatstay or a lot of moons and cateyes have under-seat brackets

scc999

As mentioned above:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cateye/rm-1-rear-saddle-mount-bracket-ec035721

Works well and, so far, has proved robust.

Si

deadkenny
    Free Member

Fancy option under seat – http://four4th.co.uk/products/lights/scorpion/

I have one of these though and just wrap it round the small gap I have between Reverb collar and top of seat tube…

http://road.cc/content/review/108100-moon-crescent-rear-light

Obviously need to not be running dropper right down to collar, or maybe it’ll fit the seat tube but the angle needs to be right to be seen and not blocked by tyre.

I just use it for longer linking road sections between trails or a get me home on road situation. Has a rubber strap that’s easy to quick fit so can keep it in a pocket or backpack as it’s fairly small, or you can leave the strap on and there’s a plastic quick release for the light but I find it more hassle.

If just using temporarily you could strap round the dropper post itself assuming you’re not going to be dropping the post while on the road.

parkesie
    Free Member

moon comet jobber fits to the sadle rails.

Northwind

I think even if the entire dropper post lower tube is in the frame, all of my lights would still fit onto the collar.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

moon comet jobber fits to the sadle rails.

Yep. Also, my Moon Shield easily straps on/off to the lower section of my Reverb.

For MTB use, though, I tend to have one on the back of my helmet. Gets switched on for road linking sections as required, and stays up and out of the mud.

richmtb

Fit it around the collar.

And wear a rear light on you jacket / pack / helmet too.

One Rear Light Good. Two Rear Lights Better

enfht
    Free Member

Exposure flare mounting wasn’t secure enough Imo.

Cateye saddle rail mount works great.

benp1

As above – on bike its bottom of post or saddle rails (cheap silicon job on the former for me)

But more importantly proper rear light on my helmet anyway. I only have one helmet so its used for commuting too

cubist
    Free Member

Helmet and rails it is then. Agree 2 is better than one given how exposed I feel on the dark country lanes.

Will take a look at some of the suggestions, Thanks.

Wally

2nd RM1 cateye fitting on saddle rails – works for me. Wish my forks did.

Fat-boy-fat

Tiny wee bontrager light. It just secures with a rubbery strap on the collar of the seatpost. Stays put, very bright, cheap as chips.

iainc

Cateye job with elasticky type mount, wrapped onto saddle rails

rhid

electron light with a rubbery strap fits to the few cm of post showing. It is quite low down and the wheel possibly obscures a lot of the light. Going to get a saddle attachment.

iainc
    Murray

What’s a good light for the helmet? A quick glance at Wiggle doesn’t seem to show much.

nickdavies

What’s a good light for the helmet? A quick glance at Wiggle doesn’t seem to show much.

Wasn’t there a tidy looking glowstick type thing on a PSA here the other day?
    2 for the price of one IIRC, clipped round your helmet or backpack.

Northwind

Murray – Member

Anything not too heavy, and a bit of velcro. I’ve got a wee Smart 2 LED thing on mine, but it could be anything with decent side visibility (because it’ll not always be pointing straight back)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Rear lights with dropper posts’ is closed to new replies.