Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Rear lights – do you get what you pay for?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Want a non-expensive rear light for the roadie…not for full-on night use – just to be a bit more visible in shite daylight.

Looked at these:

http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/370095/reviews.htm

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/accessories/lights-reflectors/topeak-redlite-rear-bike-light?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Accessories-_-Lights+and+Reflectors-_-234927&_$ja=tsid:60494%7Ccgn:GoogleShopping%7Ckw:234927&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=mqrwwpq&istBid=tzww&_$$ja=cgid:16790764204|tsid:35522|cid:214996084|lid:47422367648|nw:g|crid:62631937204|rnd:15623130246215647048|dvc:c|adp:1o3|bku:1&gclid=CJ3i347rk8QCFSXnwgodqKAAlg

The Lezyne is a great size but a back-up only by all accounts.
    The Redeye has better visibility but sounds like its crap fitting-wise.
    Both around a tenner.
    Obviously you can pay a lot more and get a better product.

What’s good for not much dough/what do you use?

robj20
    Free Member

I have a lezyne hecto drive, brilliant very bright if you want it to be, lasts ages, tells you how much charge is left and easy to charge from any usb port.

welshfarmer

I have the Lezeyne Femto on the back of the MTB has withstood 2 winters of regular rides around the hills here. Often have to dig it out of the muck before riding on the roads. Gets left on the stem and hosed off. On second battery now and still going strong. For the money it is the canines danglies

lemonysam
    Free Member

I have a Femto (amongst quite a few other lights) and whilst it’s OK I reckon there’s better for the money. it has absolutely no side visibility for a start.

I got one of these for under a tenner and it’s been great – and much more visible than the Hecto IMO.
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/accessories/lights-reflectors/topeak-redlite-aero-rear-light

welshfarmer

Good point about side viz. Never really thought of that. On a regular road ride that would be a concern. For the few miles of back roads in mid Wales I am riding less so, but would probably not suit the OP.

Northwind

Yeah, I’d agree with that with the Femto, it’s a second light. Not a criticism, I have about 2 rear lights on the bike, 3 on my rucksack and one on my helmet but not everyone is as blackpool as me.

Good though. I prefer the Smart Lunar, it’s brighter, has better side vis and uses proper batteries, but then the Lunar costs twice as much.

TiRed

TWO Cateye Rapid minis. Bright, USB rechargeable and small. I mount one to the Fizik saddle using a dedicated Fizik mount and one to the seatpost. You need two rear lights.

tillydog
    Free Member

Wilkos one is quite good IMHO – very bright. (Although I lost my first one when it fell off the back of my pack).

Linky

lemonysam
    Free Member

Good though. I prefer the Smart Lunar, it’s brighter, has better side vis and uses proper batteries, but then the Lunar costs twice as much.

I have a SMart Lunar, Bontrager Flare 3 and The Topeak mentioned up thread. I’d actually take the flare over the R2. I’ve had water ingress problems with the r2 twice this winter and the batteries don’t last as long as the Bontrager – plus to my mind it isn’t as bright.

edit: I had one that looked exactly like that Wilkos one but it leaked and the clamp broke unexpectedly in the middle of a ride, on the A658 – it was cheap though but it also convinced me that mutiple lights was the way to go.

pdw
    Free Member

Want a non-expensive rear light for the roadie…not for full-on night use – just to be a bit more visible in shite daylight.

That’s a bit of a contradiction. To do any good during daylight, a light needs to be brighter, not dimmer, than one you’d use at night. At 7 lumens, I can’t see the Femto doing much good during the day.

Smart Lunar R1 is nice and bright and can be had for not much more than a tenner (or £4, if you don’t want the bracket http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LISMRTR1/smart-r1-luggage-mounted-rear-light-without-bracket ) but the sealing is terrible, and won’t last if it’s in the firing line of a wet back wheel.

Moon Shield 60 would be my recommendation if you can stretch the budget a bit. Can sometimes be found for around £30, very bright, USB charge, and I’ve had no problems with water proofing.

phiiiiil

I find the problem with most rear lights is feeling like you’re about to break the thing every time you have to open it up when the batteries need changing. For regular use over winter when it’s cold they don’t fill me with confidence. I’m not totally cack handed, but I love ye olde cateye hand grenade as you just gently twist the end rather then try to bend any plastic tabs.

coatesy
    Free Member

Since having an expensive Cateye rear light fill up with water, then die a death, I’ve always assembled my rear lights using Hylomar Blue non-setting sealant, only cost a few quid, and still have loads left in the tube bought years ago.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Knog Blinder is superb – very bright, loads of settings & excellent battery life.

duckers
    Free Member

My 99p world special saw me through last winter and most of this until I lost it, hopefully my poundland replacement will last equally as long.

lee170
    Free Member

I have the lezyne zecto pro on my roadie, it’s brilliant, can be used as front or rear light. Rechargeable to

riddoch

Halfords have lumicycles rear light for reasonable money if you have British cycling membership or the have one of their discount days.
    link to light

renton
    Free Member

If yuo can still get thEm the moon shield rear light is amazing.

tom200

I have a pair of femto drives for backup, I was using one a my main rear mtb light, the problem is it only needs a small blob of mud and it becomes invisible. I have just bought a zecto drive as the rear, it’s way better, looks pretty cool too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the moon shield rear light is amazing.

Yep. Correct.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

3rd plus for the moon shield especially for daytime use. Far more visible than the aaa powered ones and doesn’t dim as the battery runs out

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Rear lights – do you get what you pay for?’ is closed to new replies.