• This topic has 28 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by joefm.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Rear lights
  • mikey74
    Free Member

What’s good in the USB-chargeable rear light world, these days?

My Lezyne Zecto is failing. I’m tempted to replace it with the same thing, although compatibility with an aero seatpost would be good,

TiRed

How aero. Giant make their own which works with the Vector post. I prefer my small LED lights to be saddle mounted and use a Cateye/Fizik mount for them.

But I also run a Fly 6. It is excellent.

woody2000

I’ve had one of these for a while, seems robust enough so far:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIJOWEZ/jobsworth-wezen-usb-rechargable-light

Also has the nifty ability to become a front (white) light too 🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Very happy with my Moon Nebula as primary, keep meaning to fit my Aldi Moon Comet knock-off as secondary, but the Phaart StrapOn (oo err missus) set have done a good job as backups.

sandwicheater

Pretty impressed by a recent purchase, Moon Shield-X (150 lumen model).

Still early days so can’t comment on longevity.

Lots of attachment brackets in the box.

https://www.merlincycles.com/moon-shield-x-auto-rear-light-93624.html

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My two are ~4years old and going strong. Highly recommended.

vincienup
    Free Member

My old Lezyne microdrive died this winter after three years. I replaced it with an Exposure TraceR, and after the first few sweary attempts at getting into the charger port have no complaints. Good all round rear light that can be had for reasonable money.

If I hadn’t got a deal on a Sirius-TraceR in Evans’ sale I might have just got another microdrive though, it was a good weatherproof daily light.

Guessing aero isn’t much of a priority if a Zecto was being used.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Another moon user here. really good lights. The saddle rail mount is pretty handy too if you can’t use your seat post or want a neat fitting.

cynic-al
    Free Member

COB lights get my vote, nothing worse than a blinding rear light for other road users (or front).

Guessing aero isn’t much of a priority if a Zecto was being used.

Please tell me this is a joke 🙂

vincienup
    Free Member

Um, sorta although I was a bit dickish.

Unless I’m remembering it wrong the Zecto (which op says he’s replacing) is basically a 50odd mm round light with three LEDs in it. They seem to work well enough but aren’t the smallest rear lights out there. Someone else above asked how aero the OP wanted, which I just thought was a bit funny given the shape of the existing item.

I probably should have missed that last line off… sorry if I upset anyone!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks

TiRed – Member
    How aero

Please tell me this is a joke?

lee170
    Free Member

Exposure traceR all day long, excellent light, very bright and has a pulse mode which is brilliant as the light doesn’t go out unlike a flash.

chakaping
    Free Member

Please tell me this is a joke?

Read the OP again.

I thought the same as you at first.

TiRed

Not really a joke. It’s hard to fit a round band onto a bladed seatpost. Giant make a light with h a v cut out to stop rotation. Fly 6 comes with a rubber adaptor to shim up an aero post and make it more circular.

For real aero, the fizik saddle mounted cat eye can’t be beaten.

jonnyboi

See sense do an aero mount for the icon

mrmo
    Free Member

have a look at the leyden strip lights, i forget the name but they have a rubber back side with a slot cut in, perfect for aero seat pins.

greentricky
    Free Member

Got a Smart Lunar 2×0.5W the other day, damn is it bright and have a really annoying flash mode, pair it with a Topeak aero

cp

I’ve been really disappointed with 3 different Lezyne lights – battery life much shorter than quoted and on two sets the battery life went to about 10 mins after a year.

EXCEPT Lezyne Strip Drive Pro, which has been excellent.

I’m also a big fan of Smart Lunar r2, but haven’t tried the USB version.

monkeyboyjc

Another +1 for moon lights – no issues after a year of use = best rear light I’ve owned as I go through one annually normally. Also the included second mount for your saddle is great for the mtb with a dropper post.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Anyone got any recommendations for rear lights that clip to a saddle bag loop and don’t make a bid for freedom when you hit a rough patch of road at speed?

Have been using a Lezyne KTV Drive which whilst not great has been good value, but having attempted to escape several times this winter, today it (partially) succeeded.

Needs to be pretty bomb proof as will also get a regular mud bath on the mtb.

sandboy

Put a zip tie around the bottom of the clip. Mine hasn’t jumped off since.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Moon Nebula is the daddy

davosaurusrex

Another vote for the TraceR, fits fine on a Giant D shaped post

fifeandy
    Free Member

Put a zip tie around the bottom of the clip. Mine hasn’t jumped off since.

Yeah, I would do on something powered by AA’s, but on a USB chargeable that lasts a max of 2 rides – not so appealing.
    Bluetack the ends together maybe?

antigee

sandwicheater – Member

Lots of attachment brackets in the box.

https://www.merlincycles.com/moon-shield-x-auto-rear-light-93624.html

POSTED 6 DAYS AGO #
    CaptainFlashheart – Member

…….My two are ~4years old and going strong. Highly recommended.

thread hi jack – thx looking for something to go on seat stay – like to keep my little man bag on the seatpost…to some extent i can understand that having a light on the seatpost gives optimum visibility but seems like it is becoming a must do rather than an option

jimdubleyou

Anyone got any recommendations for rear lights that clip to a saddle bag loop and don’t make a bid for freedom when you hit a rough patch of road at speed?

I think the Zecto (& other lezyne lights) will do what you want – it has a rubber band and a clip.

I use both when it’s attached to a bag, and the rubber strap stops the light from moving off the clip. Can be a tight fit, depending on where you try to clip it to.

Flaperon

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/knog-blinder-mob-mr-chips-rear-light/

This is a cracking little light. Bought it when I lost my TraceR (which subsequently reappeared) and really impressed. Strobe pattern, USB rechargeable without a stupid extra cable, and you’ll be pleased to know that it features aero compatibility.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I use both when it’s attached to a bag

I’ll give that a go, but very much doubt the rubber strap will fit through the loop on one of my bags. I’d also perhaps wrongly assumed i’d not get enough tension on the strap to keep it clipped on without a post to wrap around.

Need to bodge a new rubber bung to make it watertight first (yes, I know you can buy new ones, but after P&P added it would cost more than the light did!)

Regarding the Zecto – how weather resistant are you finding it? Lots of reports of water ingress on reviews

joefm

I have a Moon Ring which I run solid on the helmet and a Knog Blinder Mob V which I run on its fade/flash mode.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Rear lights’ is closed to new replies.