Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • REAR LIGHT WITH LASER USES AA BATTERIES NOT AAA
  • SD-253
    Free Member

Looking for something like this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Bike-Cycling-Red-Laser-Beam-5-LED-Safety-Rear-Lights-Tail-Lamp-Battery-/151216507938?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item233534cc22

BUT all rear cycle lights seem to use AAA not AA. As AA have 3 times more power than AAA AND most shops are selling at the same or similar price they are poor value for money (AAA). I also note that with the lasers on the sellers claim only 9 hours output. As disposable lose voltage quickly I would assume that actual brightness may be insufficient before the 9 hours. My options are:-
    1/ Lithium disposables, expensive.
    2/ Rechargeable AAA dodgy as rechargeables lose there power quickly with no warning and I would have to remember to charge them. My memory is not my strong point!
    3/ Lights that take AA rather than AAA and use Alkaline. At least with this option I should have adequate warning that the batteries need replacing.
    4/ Any other options I have not thought of?

Doh1Nut

Presuming light is centrally mounted on seat post – do you have a saddle bag? Remote battery pack in saddle bag. if you did 4AAs (two series, two parallele) then you could have 5+ amp hour capacity. (5 times AAA)

If you are brave you could see if 3.6v is acceptible for a supply voltage, if so then you could get a couple of 18650 cells for 3.6v 5ah capacity.

SD-253
    Free Member

Doh1Nut – Member
    Presuming light is centrally mounted on seat post – do you have a saddle bag? Remote battery pack in saddle bag. if you did 4AAs (two series, two parallele) then you could have 5+ amp hour capacity. (5 times AAA)

If you are brave you could see if 3.6v is acceptible for a supply voltage, if so then you could get a couple of 18650 cells for 3.6v 5ah capacity.

I may have a seat post bag. But have I got this right you are saying rewire the light? I must admit I like the idea but lack the knowledge for the wiring and would worry about water ingress. I would have no problem with 3.6 volt as I believe 1.5 volts is an average for AA peak would be higher.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if that e-bay light lasted as long as the batteries to be honest!

Doh1Nut

Yes, it would require some faffing but as a proof of concept I would go to maplins or wherever and get a 2*AA battery holder. run the wires from that to the battery terminals inside the light.
    Once you are happy that it works, you can start making it more permenant, drill a hole in the light for the wire to go through and seal it with silicone.
    Get a 4*AA battery holder and switch round the wiring to get the correct voltage and increase your run time.
    Get some connectors JST so you can remove the light.
    etc.

SD-253
    Free Member

.piedi di formaggio – Member
    I’d be surprised if that e-bay light lasted as long as the batteries to be honest!

I have had some surprising good lights direct from China none have ever failed. All that ceased working were due to me breaking them. In fact they are all still working. I have either broken the attachment or broken the cover. Obviously i can’t say that about everything I buy from Ebay that comes direct from China.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘REAR LIGHT WITH LASER USES AA BATTERIES NOT AAA’ is closed to new replies.