Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rear light – waterproof and robust, small enough for a seat stay
  • benp1

My last two trips have been monumentally wet for some or all of it. I need a rear light that will last through the wet and mud, but also needs to be small enough to fit to a seat stay

I need the seat post clear for a bikepacking seatpack and I run a mudguard so the bottom of the seat post isn’t an option either

The offside seat stay is my best option. It needs to me small, robust, easy to turn on and off with gloves, and can cope with the rain and mud. I have a few I could attach at the moment, eg. Smart R2 or PDW Radbot 500, but I don’t reckon they’d cope with the wet or grime without some serious bodging. The silicone lights won’t work brilliantly as the seat stay angles the light up, I’d like it to be visible

I have a fibre flare I could use but it’s on my commuter and I heard they’re not good in the rain.

I already have a fair few others already, including a holy hand grenade, but none are small enough, waterproof enough, or able to be angled on the seat stay

No set budget, I’m looking to add it to a christmas list

TiRed

Cateye Rapid Mini with a proper seatstay mount. Or the same light with saddle rail mount. Add some grease to the charging port before closing the seal.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these.

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/A1071.html

I like it because it’s design sheds light onto the rear of the bike, making you quite the visible thing – the light goes out top bottom sides as oppose just pointing out back.

it fits a stay.

benp1

@lightman – I don’t quite understand how that works?

Cateye mini looks nice and narrow, how waterproof do you find it?

I was out in hours of rain the other day, everything got soaked, but the lights kept working which is good

lightman
    Free Member

They’re normally for mounting a bike computer on TT bars etc…
    Im sure you could make it work on the stay and you would have a round attachment for the light.
    Obviously it would be sticking out from the bike and not in-line!

TiRed

I’ve not had any trouble in some huge downpours on the trike (I run two on the back). I’ll drop it into a glass of water and see how it performs later. The mounting options are very good. The Rapid X will also mount with bands to a seatstay and the rubber back pad will keep the water off the charging port, but I don’t think mine is as sealed as the mini.

cookeaa

I need the seat post clear for a bikepacking seatpack and I run a mudguard so the bottom of the seat post isn’t an option either

Could you not mount a light on the rear of the pack? Having it higher and further out back rather than tucked away down the stay can only be good for visibility…

benp1

@lightman – thanks, I see what you mean now. The fact it sticks out means it’s going to get clobbered when dragging the bike through ferns and other things while doing the bog-trotting tussock-humping death march

@TiRed – thanks, that would be great. The Rapid Mini and Rapid X look like a good option. They’ll be pointing up a bit which maybe isn’t go good, but they’re nicely in line/discreet which is a big positive

molgrips
    Free Member

The Cateye X jobs are fantastic. I have the earlier one, X2, and not only is it bright it’s visible for more than 180 degrees around with the same brightness.

Only lasts an hour on mega full, but it has a fast flicker mode which is dead bright and good for like 4 hours or so.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rear light – waterproof and robust, small enough for a seat stay’ is closed to new replies.