Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Rear light for daily commute use – TraceR experiences?
  • vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve just about worn out the battery in my three winter old Lezyne Microdrive, which is still perfectly functional although ano is a little scuffed from daily mount/unmounting by now. It’s been a fantastic rear light that did everything it promised. It still does, but starts giving me a low charge warning after two days now, so is clearly on the way out – and I’d rather not test cell life to destruction as that would leave my rear uncovered when it went 🙂

I’m very tempted to just buy another of same, except I’ve moved to Exposure for MTB off road use since buying Lezyne for commuting. I’m wondering what experiences people have of the TraceR in real life? It seems to be the same sort of power (70Lm) and run time as the MicroDrive, but seems to pick up poor reviews for the mount and the charge port cover. I like the look of the saddle rail adaptor mount though.

I know the Lezyne gets slated for bouncing out of the cradle in reviews too, and I can see how that might happen but you would need to screw up getting it in the mount for it to be a problem. I’m assuming the TraceR is similar. It’s the charge port that worries me more.

How has anyone who’s owned one for more than a year in daily or near daily winter use got on with it?

lowey

Brill light. I use it on my commute, had it two years and really cant fault it. Sure the charging cover is a bit fiddly but it always seats ok with a bit of care.

stumpy01

The fitment on the TraceR into the mount is very tight. Unless you don’t clip it in all the way, I don’t see how it can come out.

I treated myself to one with a £50 Exposure voucher that I got. It’s a bloody good light. The pulse mode is particularly good.
    The rubber mounting band snapped the first time I tried to fit it to my bike (bit alarming) but I e-mailed exposure the next day & they posted a new one out to me for free. Second one was fine.

I use the normal mount, but bought the saddle rail mount at the same time just in case I want to swap it over at some point.

Can’t really comment on wet weather performance as my riding since I got it has been woeful.
    I can see how it could be an issue if in direct spray from the wheel. There’s just a thin band that goes around the whole light. This locates into a groove & you pull it out of the way when you want to charge the light. I imagine if you don’t put it right back into the groove it might let the water seep in.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Moon Shield.

Reliable, bright. Recommended.

aroyalnit
    Free Member

My TraceR is now into its third Aberdeenshire winter. The pull notch to access the charge port ripped off the other day (it was a -7C commute, I was probably a bit too careless plugging it into charge).

I emailed Exposure, they sent out a spare band FOC and I had it on the light the following day. The light hasn’t missed a beat otherwise, I’d definitely buy another if I lost it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Rear light for daily commute use – TraceR experiences?’ is closed to new replies.