Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Rear LED lights
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

are there any out there with the simplicity and brightness of the KNOG series, but ones that are actually waterproof and dont break at the first sign of water???

there must be another brand out there that someone can recommend like KNOG? great design i love it and its easy to mount/unmount…..

anyone?

andywarner
    Free Member

I got a rear 4-LED light off CRC two years ago for £4 that I use for road sections of night rides and they've done two winters with no problem. Not sure on the brand but proof you don't need to fork out a fortune. They're bloody bright as well.

Luminous
    Free Member

Not sure.

What I can tell you is that recently, my electron Backupz rear light got slightly wet, and was toast !.

Not impressed.

I've had those smart rear LED lights on my town bikes, and they appear to be reasonably weather proof. Had'em a good few year now.

🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I just but cheapies from the local dscount store for £1.99. They are virtually identical to these which sell for about £6

They last well, but I cable-tie the light to the bracket to stop it falling off. I've lost too many expensive rear lights like this!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Cateye hand grenade thing is ace.

Luminous
    Free Member

Yes, I've seen that Cateye light. Its an award winner. I think it has 10 LEDs in total.

Good light, imo.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

my ld1100 (hand grenade) has lasted for 4 years now, including daily commuting. I use full mudguards though, which stops a huge amount of road spray, myabe thats why??

richmars

Those cheap Smarts are pretty waterproof. I used to have the Smart Lunar 1/2 watt but everytime it rained it stopped. CRC kindly refunded me so I got one of these.
    (But the mount is really bad, had to make my own.)

Dibbs
    Free Member

This is what you want, Light & Motion started out making divers lamps so hopefully it should be waterproof.
    http://www.bikelightingsystem.com/vis180.html

Dibbs
    Free Member

This looks interesting for commuting, not cheap though.
    http://www.bikelightingsystem.com/vis360.html

DezB
    Free Member

I've had one of these for about 10 years and its still working fine.
    Nowhere as bright as the Smart 1W thing I use on the road, but somehow I don't see the Smart lasting that long!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Another vote for the hand grenade. Been running two on my commuter for the last 4 winters and no issues.

bassspine
    Free Member

the haemmorrhoid rules

StirlingCrispin

I've always liked the Cateye AU100 Rear LED.
    Had mine for years. Cope with water well (one of mine lives outside on the commuter bike) and impossible to dislodge.

ntreid
    Free Member

OP wanted something that mounted quickly/easily/cleverly.

Not sure why though, the Cateyes are QR.

Luminous
    Free Member

Yeah, that Cateye TL-LD1100 was what I was thinking of.

Good light.

belgianbob

Another vote for the Cateye holy hand grenade…

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP you are using mudguards yes?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

nope sorry no mudguards, just wanted something quick and easy to mount/unmount thats all, the KNOGs are extremely easy, though a drop of water and they are kapppputt 🙁

looks like that handgrenade one is looking pretty robust 🙂

Luminous
    Free Member

LoL @ Cateye holy hand grenade…

😀

bristolbiker
    Free Member

As I think Al is indicating: mudguards = step change in rear light longevity if you are mounting the light anywhere in the line of fire of the spray off of your rear wheel.

P20

Don't know about it's waterproof qualities, but I've just bought an RSP astrum. Twin half watt, damn bright. Mount seems ok. Time will tell

stayhigh

LoL @ Cateye holy hand grenade…

Its a pity it doesn't "blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy" though 😆

Luminous
    Free Member

StayHigh.

Yeah. But if your holy hand grenade should fail, what then, will you use against that rabit 😯

Excellent, I'll have to borrow a copy of that. Haven't seen it in years.

;-D

Del

the cheap smart ones ( and their copies ) are like candles in a jam-jar next to the smart 1/2 watt.
    i have the holy hand grenades too. two of them live on my pack. they're ok and good for all round vis, but not all that bright. i have the smart 1/2 watts fitted to the bikes. very bright, very attention grabbing. use aaa batteries. benefit from a smear of grease around the seal when you change the batteries, also a cable tie around the body/clamp just to make sure everything stays in one piece, and not the easiest to mount though.
    maybe think about something bright on your pack, and just something to keep you legal ( and as a back up ) fixed to the bike?

StirlingCrispin

How about this Cateye light?
    I have a front one and it does the job OK.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cateye_TL-SL110_Loop_LED_Rear_Light/5360045557/

Mister-P
    Free Member

Dibbs, I have my name on one of the L&M rears for my winter commuter. They are due in this week so I will report back shortly.

sas
    Free Member

CatEye LD600 (or whatever the latest version is). I've had it 6 years, with and without mudguards, on and off road (mostly when I've forgotten to take it off).

ntreid
    Free Member

Brightest one I've ever seen was a Flare-b-seen (orsimilar silly name). Trek made it I think.

Expensive, but looks more like a marine channel marker light than a bike light.

Clong
    Free Member

Exposure Flare. The self contained version of their Red eye light, which is v.bright.

It's not out yet, but due end of August/beginning of September i believe

ourmaninthenorth

I use the hand grenade. It's mounted to the seatpost and pushed up against the saddle, so it can't easily be removed (bike's outside all day at work).

This winter, my commute has changed to include 8 miles of unlit roads. I'll run my Lumi LED up front, the handgrenade at the back together with the Lumi rear running off my batter and prob a Smart as well on my back.

verses

Two of these;
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14821
    One on the bike, one on the bag/belt/lid/where-ever-I-can-find-to-clip-it. Chances of both dying on the same ride are slim 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

I have my name on one of the L&M rears for my winter commuter.

Me too.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I persevered with the holy hand grenade for several years, I had the LD1000 and the LD1100. I ride every day, in all weathers, through heavy traffic, I gave up with them:

a) Mounts are weak. In cold subzero temperatures, they're prone to snapping, either the band or the mount itself. I've had several go skittering down dual carriageways. Its the same mounting system as their other, lighter, lamp units, design error IMO.

b) The LED units themselves are not very bright. They look bright when you look at it close up, becuase the unit plastic illuminates, but they're blown into the weeds by more modern LEDs like the one used inthe smart 1/2 watt. Even the newer 'brighter' LD1100 isn't that good in comparison.

c) The two rows of LEDs, when both are set into flash mode, go in and out of phase with each other, so if you're further back than about 50 yards from the lamp unit (like a driver) they don't appear to flash at all. One row solid one row flash isn't as noticeable as a more modern unit on just flash.

d) Battery life. I use decent rechargers, becuase the unit is driving so many leds, rather than one effeicent LED, brightness dropoff is horrific. This means a couple of recharge cycles a week, rather than one for smaller, brighter, more effecient units. It is easy to get the batteries out, tool-less, but *once* (not if) its gone under a car it'll be more fiddly.

They are robust; however, they still sustain moderate to severe damage when they go skittering under a transit van, or Vauxhall Cavalier. They are weather proof, and they do have dedicated side illumination.

I use a smart 1/2 watt, it has much reduced side visability, but it is MUCH MUCH brighter, no phase issues, excellent battery life from 2AA's. Weather resistance is not so good, its OK if you have mudguards, but water can creep in if you don't have them, easily solved with some sellotape around the base to deflect the water. The mount is much more robust, as less strain is placed on it. It is also VERY cheap. They're so good I'll buy another this winter.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42472

I also have a Blackburn Mars 3. I got it initially as it has some side visability. Its not that bright outright, I'm not convinced the weak side LEDs add that much, and you need a jeweller's screwdriver to get the batteries out (WHY?). It is v weather resistant and again, the mount is much more robust.

I run the smart on the back of the bike, and the Mars on my courier bag.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Exposure Flare

any prices being guestimated yet ?

having a maxx D and a joystick already and knowing how quality they are thats what i want ! – without even seeing it !

greasystain
    Free Member

This one works great with a camelbak:

see here

PikeBN14
    Free Member

But the cheapest one you can find and stick some vascelene in it!

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have my Light & Motion Vis 180 and it is very very bright indeed. 35 lumens doesn't sound a lot but it is a serious amount of red light.

steelfan
    Free Member

There is an advert in the LCC Magazine for the Exposure Flare. SRP of £40
    But does not give Lumen rating. Looks pretty good and there is going to be a matching front called the Flash.
    Rutland cycles have them both on their site but not avail yet.Exposure Flash front light
    Exposure Flare Rear light

Luminous
    Free Member

Met a mate in the boozer last night. He rode into town on his winter hack.

Then strolled into the pub clutching his Model 601 and two of those smart 1/2 watt rear LEDs.

I have to say, on first impressions, those rear lights seem to be very good, especially when you consider they cost around a tenner.

I've an older version, but those Smart lunar 1/2 watt rear lights are very bright.
    He reckoned the batteries last ages too.

So I will 2nd ADH's comments for that smart lunar 1/2 watt rear light.
    pretty good vfm, imo.

EDIT: Oh, and as far as weather proofing goes. Some have recommended taping up the joint between the lens and the body, or applying some waterproof grease.
    I'd add, that perhaps a cut-off section of inner tube wrapped around the joint could also do the trick.
    🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Rear LED lights’ is closed to new replies.