Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rear Indexing Help
  • faaz
    Free Member

Just indexing my gears as they were a little out, having some trouble on the rear.

I run 1×9, not sure if that may be to do with the problem, but I have indexed all the gears and they seem to all work fine up/down bar one, which is gear 9 I suppose, the smallest gear with the least teeth (hope that explains it)
    When in 8, I drop it down 1, the mech moves maybe 3/4 mil which isn’t enough, clattering starts, but the cable has gone fairly slack! Like it could easily move another 4 mm. This wasn’t the case before, before I couldn’t change up, so now why can’t I get into 9th at all? It’s really odd. Tried pulling at it when ‘in gear’ to see if it just is sticking, but it feels like it’s right at the end as far as it can go. Perfectly explainable, bar the fact there is slack cable!

This is the gear I use the most obviously on the road most of the time, so it’s important to get it dialed. I only have 1 barrel adjuster and given that it was fine in 9th , yesterday, for example, I can’t see why it won’t drop in now. Perhaps it’s because im in the workshop and not riding it? Maybe needs a bit of tension on the chain? not sure.

Any ideas? can post pics if people are confused

cheers

crikey
    Free Member

There are two small screws on the mech which limit the amount of travel. H is the high gear limit; try turning this screw half a turn and see if the chain drops on.

faaz
    Free Member

Excellent idea, thankyou kind sir

forgot about those!

faaz
    Free Member

I watched the video on youtube from Evans as I find them fairly simple, but it didn’t mention the limit screws.

Anyway needless to say I had a little play because they weren’t marked, and couple of turns has sorted the problem. Bit of scraping in gear 2 but it’s the best I can do, and I rarely sit in 2 for a long time.

Thanks for the tips and links.

On a side note look at this:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfLHRIdMem0[/video]

Spot the cheeky cut at 1:46 ? Lol… obviously it wasn’t a 2 minute job.

thanks

Coleman
    Free Member

I find it’s best to set the limit screws before the chain is fitted – much more accurate.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rear Indexing Help’ is closed to new replies.