Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • rear hub service what tools
  • derm123
    Free Member

I’m going to service my rear hub shimano m665. I’m new to all this bike maintenance and need to buy some tools. What will I need, cone spanner what size? Can I get away with just one? Cassette tool anything specific needed or just something that fits shimano? Is there anything else I need?

Appreciate any help,

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Ideally you want 2x15mm cone spanners and 2x 17mm ring spanners for the lock nuts. You can get away with with one cone spanner how two makes the job easy.

After 8 years of using Park Tools cone spanners in the bike shop I’ve bought myself some Pedros cone spanners. They cost the same but the rubber grips don’t slip off.

You will also need a chain whip (cheap one will do) and a cassette lock ring tool. A bench vice makes it easier as you can just clamp the lock ring tool in the vice. If not you just need a big spanner/socket/wrench on the end.

Plenty of videos on you tube on how to do the job itself.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Not all bearings are the same. Good grade 25 balls are only a little more than the cheap rubbish
    Second a trip on you tube or the park tools website for how to advice

cynic-al
    Free Member

1 x 15mm cone spanner and an adjustable is enough. Not sure if you need to remove the cassette lockring, but IIRC on centrelock hubs you DO have to remove the disc?

derm123
    Free Member

thanks guys, I’m off shopping 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘rear hub service what tools’ is closed to new replies.