Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rear hub dimensions – QR, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm. 135 &150 spacing. Confused?
  • MrTall
    Free Member

I'm currently building up a play/jump bike so i can keep my 11yr old nephew company when he comes and stays with me. It's mostly done apart from brakes and wheels and i am currently watching/bidding on some on fleabay.

The frame has standard rear dropouts (cheapo Handsome Dog frame) but lots of the wheels i'm looking at have bolt thru solid axles (not like Maxle etc) and different dimensions. What will fit on the frame and what won't, thanks? It'll be run single speed if that matters. (36×16).

If it helps i'm mostly looking at DMR, Halo & Atomlab wheels but if anyone has a pair of 2nd hand cheap strong wheels available (£80ish max) with at least a 36 spoke count i'd be interested. 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

If you are running a normal 135mm QR rear wheel at the moment then you could fit something with a 10mm bolt up like these –

DT Swiss RWS

mk1fan
    Free Member

Measure between the dropouts and that will tell you if it's 135mm or 150mm.

10mm through axles will need either a Maxle rear end (which you don't have) or a suitable QR through axle like DT Swiss (linked above) or Superstar Components http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=287

Bolt up hubs will fit fine you just bolt them up instead of tightening a QR.

I would suggest that a bolt up hub would suit a jump bike better than a normal (ie not 10mm) QR.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Edit: NVM

mk1fan
    Free Member

Mr P,

They are QR bolt through, not bolt up. Pedantic I know but the OP needs accurate advice if they're trying to buy off eBay.

Ken, you need to re-read the OP.

MrTall
    Free Member

So the wheels i've seen that have a 12 or 14mm axle will be too big then (ie the axle will not fit into the dropouts)?

I'm more than happy with bolt up axles as the bike won't get ridden that much. It may be jumped a bit but probably not landed so well….;-) To be honest though i'll probably end up with whatever i can grab off ebay for a reasonable price.

10mm is the standard bolt through axle size then? And a 135mm dropout. I put some XC wheels on it to check the fit last night (they were fine) so again, anything that has a 150mm sizing is a no-no?

Thanks for you help so far.

mk1fan
    Free Member

10mm is one standard.

How wide is the gap between the dropouts? If it's 135mm wide you'll need a 135mm wide hub.

The dropout itself will most likely be 10mm in diameter (it being an XC type HT). Again, measure it. If it's 10mm then the biggest axle it can take is 10mm.

I know it's Thursday but come on, engage brain.

One final note, if the drop outs are cowelled like these http://www.flickr.com/photos/shandcycles/760432423/ then bolting up a bolt up axle might prove arwkward – a long socket may work but then you'd need to carry a socket and bar in your trail tools.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Can I suggest one of these hubs http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=283 from Superstar Components built up onto a strong rim should be all you need. Also one of their wide based s/s sprockets too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rear hub dimensions – QR, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm. 135 &150 spacing. Confused?’ is closed to new replies.