Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Rear disk wheel, spoke orientation
  • younggeoff

Hi all, I've always built rear disk wheels asymmetrically, that is the trailing spokes on the drive side (those pointing towards the back of the bike) heads-in/elbows out and the leading spokes on the disk side (those pointing towards the front of the bike) heads-in/elbows out.

However in the CK manual it states, The front ISO should be laced 3-or-more-cross with the rotor (left) side pulling spokes (relative to braking direction) heads out/elbows in (when laced 3-cross). The final cross of the pulling spoke must be on the outside so that, as braking force is applied, increased pulling spoke tension will pull the crossed spokes towards the center of the hub and away from the caliper. Lace the wheel symmetrically.

But it doesn't mention the pattern for the rear.

What's the opinion of the wealth of knowledge on here?

Onzadog
    Free Member

There's a chap on wiki who has looked into this. I think his name is PVD. Good for suspension stuff as well. His argument is that CK make hight end stuff and that's easy to work with. Shimano offer direction instructions and they make budget stuff that is machine built. If their engineers have worked it out and it's right for budget stuff, it will work with high end stuff. However, it isn't automatically going to work the other way around. Seems like sound logic to me.

However, when you read Roger's wheelpro book, he makes a fair point. It doesn't make any difference. You might in extreme cases get some deflection of the spokes under extreme loads (more likely braking) and depending how you wheel is laced, that deflection might be in, it might be out. If your wheel is properly tensioned, it's not actually oing to be by a noticeable amount. What do you prefer the look of?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Rear disk wheel, spoke orientation’ is closed to new replies.