Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • rear derailleur setup. Is it worn or am I just crap?
  • fent
    Free Member

recently bought a second hand orange alpine, it is about 2-3 years old.The gears have not worked properly since I bought it a couple of months ago, the cassette and chain were worn so these have been replaced but I cannot get the new gears to run properly.

I have followed the tech tuesday guide for setting the derailleur (sram x9)so I hoped it would work so before I stress any further do I need to check for a worn rear derailleur?

existing rear derailleur sram x9
    new shifters fitted shimano slx
    cassette replaced with shimano deore HG50 (11-32 as before)
    sram chain pc971
    bike is a 9 speed 11-32 with two front cogs

high and low stops set ok
    starting from the highest rear gear the first 2 gears fit ok but then i need to double click to get the next two. I cannot get into the lowest two gears.
    Then started from the lowest gear, again first two ok but then will not engage the next two without a double click and then I cannot get the last two highest.

Am I just being useless and need to get someone who knows how to set this up or could this be down to perhaps the spring wearing in the derailleur?

after buying shifter, chain and cassette I was hoping this would work, getting fed up (and broke) very quickly

Please help

Cheers

Mark

Rorschach
    Free Member

😆 Sorry.You can’t run sram (1;1 actuation ratio) rear mech with shimano (not 1;1) shifters.Live and learn.
    Sram is cack anyhoo….now go buy a nice shiney shimano rear mech (NOT a 10sp dyna sis one 😉 ).

Mister-P
    Free Member

Shimano shifters plus Sram rear mech = no worky.

fent
    Free Member

marvelous,
    better get ordering a new rear mech then, cheers

Rorschach
    Free Member

“Everyday is a school day”

fent
    Free Member

new rear mech arrived and set up in less than 15 mins 🙂

Another chain reaction cycles sales bargain to the rescue. that’s 3 separate orders in a week, oh well, its worth it

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘rear derailleur setup. Is it worn or am I just crap?’ is closed to new replies.