Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rear derailleur help
  • albino
    Free Member

Can anyone help me (a fettling novice), with my rear derailleur problem? It’s a SRAM X9 andI can’t seem to get it to shift into the the smallest cog. I’ve followed the set up instructions from the SRAM webiste and the video on youtube but to no avail.
    It will stay on the cog if I shift it in manually but once I shift out of the bottom it won’t go back in (ahem! 8O)
    So far I’ve tightened the cable with the chain sitting on the smallest cog, adjusted the H screw, gradually, as far as fully anti-clockwise and lubed the cable and pulleys.

So…am I doing something wrong or have I missed anything important? Any help much appreciated
    Cheers

LMT
    Free Member

Im having some technical difficulty with my SLX mech! damn thing will shift down perfectly but going up it struggles to move up to the second smallest cog, once past this shifting is perfect!

Sorry to hijack but some help would be nice……..

seanodav
    Free Member

If its an old set up try new cable and outers.

steve_b77
    Free Member

SRAM – when the mech is sat over the smallest sprocket and with the chain in the largest chain ring, start by not having the cable attached.

Wind the adjuster almost all the way in on the, attach the cable to the mech and tighten the securing bolt.

Now shift to the largest sprocket and the smallest chain ring and make sure the mech is in line with the largest sprocket.

Drop back to the smallest sprocket and biggest ring, shift to the next up on the cassette, if it doesn't shift add some tension until it does, then just apply pressure to the lever before the 3rd click, the chain should nearly shift – adjust tension until it does.

Repeat these steps until it shifts well, it actually says in the Shimano instructions it may not be possible to get all gears in each cog and a "best-fit" may need apply.

Shimano – Big front ring, smallest sprocket, shift to 2nd sprocket, if it doesn't move up add some tension 1/8th turn at a time until it does. The once on 2nd apply pressure to lever to just before 3rd click, chain should just touch 3rd sprocket, if it nearly moves back off tension 1/8th turn, if it doesn't add tension 1/8th turn at a time.

They're a bugger to index but once done should be fine for a while

albino
    Free Member

Forgot to say – bike's only had 3 months riding – so fairly new. Cheers any way seanodav

valleydaddy
    Free Member

if your bikes only 3 months old try your LBS if that's where you got it from and I'm sure for a couple of quid they'll sort it, maybe even for free.

If you've done loads of riding in past 12 weeks maybe book in for a service to get it sorted – nothing worse than gears crunching on a ride.

seanodav
    Free Member

As per steves instructions in that case.

DT78
    Free Member

I still find either it works straight away or it takes me ages to get it sorted.

On top of the above advice do a quick eyeball of the derailer cage / crank arm and just make sure it's not bent out of shape. If you've given it a knock it will be a real pain to setup right.

albino
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone – I'll have a go at Steve's info tomorrow and if not take it to the LBS.
    What would be a reasonable figure for a set up or first service?
    Cheers again.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

The problem is the sleeve ends. Take the cable out. Take the sleeve end caps off. Trim the pointy out bits of wire off the sleeves and then reassemble. It should work fine then.
    Replacing the sleeves will cause the same thing to happen again in another 3 months.

Dancake
    Free Member

My X9 is of similar age and (espcially in the cold and wet) hates shifting down at the limits (ie onto smallest sprocket and from largest to second

It did this even on the bench ie it had 2 tight spots at the top and bottom of its stroke . May be worth removing the cable and checking it springs back nicely to the same position.

What I have done is oiled and 'worked' the mech back and forth loads to free it up. It now changes with a nice click. Think I read someone else had the same prob and had their mech changed for free.

albino
    Free Member

Thanks for the extra info – I've tried Steve's advice but am still having the same problem.
    The only additional thing I've noticed is that when I'm in the largest sprocket it takes 2 clicks on the shifter before it will move to the next smallest sprocket. So by the time I try to shift into the smallest sprocket I'm a click short – if that makes sense..
    So, is this still the same problem or something else?

I've also given it another good lube and worked it through to see if that helps.
    I didn't see Bikewhisperer's post until I got back in but I'll try it out later.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rear derailleur help’ is closed to new replies.