Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Rear Coil Shock??
  • JefWachowchow
    Free Member

@thv3 – YGM

kamina
    Free Member

So somebody is seriously suggesting there is not much advantage to the RC4 over DHX models? I guess it's the same shape if that's what you are going after…

Apart from the CCDB other good options:

Elka Stage 5 (I have one and it's stunning)
    Fox RC4
    Bos Stoy
    Fox Van R with MX tune (or regular push tune if you don't have the cash, but at least the Elka is a big improvement over the Van R with the push tune).

LoCo
    Free Member

The RC4 is quite different in design to the DHX having a larger shaft to flow more oil in addition to this it has High and low speed compression adjustment which is a completely different design to the propedal/low speed compression system. It also has larger diameter piggy back chamber so a larger volume air chamber.

All shocks will benefit from a custom tune as they are built to a price (less so in the case of the CCDB) and are set for 'Joe average' weight and riding even when tuned for a specific frame. With a bit of porting on the piston (if applicable) and re shimming pretty much any shock with perform alot better, giving more sentivity and greater bump absorbtion.

With shocks like the Dueler, CCDB, Elka, and RC4 which have High and Low speed compression adjusters and in some cases pressure and volume adjusters on the gas chamber you can set them up to work pretty well but a gain to get the best out of them a bit of custom tuning will always help.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Thanks again. I feel I need to just spend a few hours tonight reading through everything to do with coil shocks so I can really see the benefit of each model.

In your experience LoCo (And i'm aware you sell them), how does the Dueler respond to being pedalled up? The reason i'm asking is despite my riding for the next year or so involving me pushing up. I do have a week at Welsh trail centres in October and don't know how the Dueler will fair in this enviroment? The reviews i've read so far seem mixed on this.

Thanks.

LoCo
    Free Member

G, you can adjust low speed compression to dial out pedal bob, there are a number of shocks being used on the DH race circuit this year and are proving to be pretty durable and easy to set up.

messiah
    Free Member

I've got two 8.5 x 2.5 shocks which I switch between. A simple Float R and a DHX4. They both work fine and the air felt good until I tried the coil. Neither is brilliant and I will either get them tuned or buy something else… its fun to play with options and it's taken me 4 months to get to the point of figuring what I like.

kamina
    Free Member

its fun to play with options and it's taken me 4 months to get to the point of figuring what I like.

One reason I found it took long to figure out what I like with a DHX 5 or Van R was that even after being pushed, the adjustments make very little difference. With the Elka adjustments make a huge difference so it's far easier for a novice to understand what's happening – and thus get things right.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Rear Coil Shock??’ is closed to new replies.