Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Rear Clutch Mechs
  • gingewaller
    Free Member

I’m currently running a 3 x 10 setup on my Orange Five and I’m getting frustrated with the chain slapping around over rough trails. Is it possible to run a Rear clutch mech on my existing setup??? Any guidance would be appreciated, thank you

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup, just get a long cage one from your chosen component line

creamegg
    Free Member

Cant see why not.

Northwind

Yup. Though, it’ll probably still not be all that quiet, I had a saint clutchy mech on my orange and it still sounded like it was full of buckshot

matther01
    Free Member

No issue…just long cage as stated above. Might not make things massively better as you’ll be running a long chain no matter what with your current set up. I used a c guide which was pretty good along with a clutch and was much quieter than the clutch on its own with 3×10.

If you can afford to, start thinking about 1×10…no chainslap whatsoever now!

ads678

Innertube wrapped around swing arm and covered in leccy tape, best way to dampen the noise imo.

damascus
    Free Member

I run 3×10 xt with a clutch mech and as northwind states it sounds pretty gash. If you turn it off it runs silently.

Small price to pay I suppose.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I still get chainslap with 1×10. It helps for a while but then things slacken. The clucth, the chain, plus chainring (narrow wide essential) starts to wear.

On top of that, I’ve been starting to use Squirt lube, but the result is the chain appears to have no lube on at all. It does, it’s just a waxy layer and mostly inside where it’s doing the job, but I feel that adds to noise as the shiny chain rattles against the chainring. At least that’s my theory. If I wiggle the chain I can hear it clunk on the chainring. Didn’t do that with thicker oil lube (just had a horrid oily grinding sound instead when mucky).

Anyway, clutches I think need further refinement. Had a Type 2 that developed the classic knocking noise under suspension compress. That’s now on the hard tail and is okay on there. Next Type 2 decided to keep locking itself forward (not on the lock pin, just would get stuck inside). Needed service basically a year after I’d bought it, but I needed a working mech so I’ve bought another. So far okay, though I’m not convinced it’s always providing the tension required. There’s some fiddling you can apparently do with a bolt inside on Type 2 mechs but not really played with it.

howellj1
    Free Member

Try a bionicon guide; really quiet and a cheap option before investing in a new mech.

radrob
    Free Member

I’m running a slx clutch mech on my orange 5 now 3×10. It’s nowhere near as noisey now over rough stuff. My mates still get noises on there top end bikes over the rough stuff even with Xtr clutch etc. I’m happy as it is tho for the time beeing. Mite consider a chainguide on a double set up next. Oh as stated get the long cage one. Bought mine from merling £29.95 bargain

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Try a bionicon guide; really quiet and a cheap option before investing in a new mech.

The chainline using that on an Orange Five will be quite something.

cookeaa

The chainline using that on an Orange Five will be quite something.

[/quote]

And also not that much cheaper than a Deore or SLX clutch mech really…

I seem to remember seeing a similar “Guide” fashioned using a bit of old garden hose a few years ago on a DH bike… not exactly a noise killer.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Narrow wide 1X10 with SLX clutch mech here, Got so used to the absolute silence that when I got back on the HT (3X10) I actually stopped on a descent to see what had broken because it make so much noise!

wl
    Free Member

Running a clutch XT on my Five (with double) and the difference is great – I can easily tell when I’ve forgotten to switch the clutch on after refitting the back wheel. Never lose the chain either.

nemesis
    Free Member

Out of interest, has anyone used a Deore clutch mech? They seem like silly good value.

amedias
    Free Member

Out of interest, has anyone used a Deore clutch mech? They seem like silly good value.

Seems functionally as good as the SLX one I have on another bike, only time will tell if it is as durable.

cookeaa

Raises hand.

M615 on my HT 11-36 cassette, Zee shifter with a Ringmaster, (Poor mans 1×10) its got a long old cage but it does the job very nicely I paid £20 from Merlin, not sure if it’s still that cheap…

nemesis
    Free Member

You can get medium cage ones which while not the ‘ideal’ short cage, would be fine for 1x I’d reckon.

cookeaa

Here it is in situ:

Like I said it’s a long cage (SGS) which apparently accomodates a 43t range, I got it as it was cheap and I might want to try it with a 40 or 42t extender ring in the future so the capacity might come in handy GS might have been a better idea but hey ho, still working…

Wouldn the OP need a long cage for use with a triple?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Long for a triple, yes.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Rear Clutch Mechs’ is closed to new replies.