Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • rear cassette rings moving independently (play)
  • giddyrob
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a hope 2 evo rear hub and sram 10 speed cassette setup. I have noticed after my latest ride that the nearly all of the rings have about 3/4mm play both ways. The last 2 (largest) rings don’t move and the first ring doesn’t more, but the rest can be moved independently of each other by quite a bit.

Is this simply and tightening issue (away, don’t have correct tool with me to test), or is the cassette done? I’ve had the set up for less than a year so reasonably new. Not cheap kit so expected a little more.

Bought the cassette from chain reaction so wondering if I can send it back if it is the problem?

Any advise would be appreciated 🙂

Thanks

Rob

wwaswas

I suspect that it’s not tight enough and the cogs have cut into the cassette body so now they can move a bit.

A year’s not bad for a cassette if it’s your only bike – what sort of mileage have you done on it?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Sounds loose, none of the rings would move if it where tight.

richmtb

Your lockring needs tightened.

Some or your sprockets won’t move as they are mounted on a carrier which will be fairly tight on the free hub. The ones not on a carrier will have a fair bit a play if the lockring isn’t tight enough

giddyrob
    Free Member

Ok, cheers guys.

I will give it a real good tighten when i get home and if it’s still acting up I’ll just get another cassette.

I gather then that you have to make it really tight for it not to come loose?

globalti
    Free Member

It needs to be eff-off tight, in old English engineering terms.

stevied
    Free Member

I gather then that you have to make it really tight for it not to come loose?

About 40Nm tight. That’s very tight..

wwaswas

You need it done up to just over ‘Real Damn Tight’ on your torque wrench;

Trimix
    Free Member

Before you go all bear like with the tightening – take it off and look at the freehub body. You may / will see wear on it.

So you can then understand why some cogs are loose.

Tight or not, you will still have wear on this part. It wont kill the bike, but when it bothers you its time to replace it.

giddyrob
    Free Member

Great responses chaps…. I really didn’t have it that tight so my bad… I will give it the beans when I get home 🙂

lunge

Do Hope freehubs need a 10 speed spacer? I know my Shimano ones do when mounting 10 speed cassettes. If that is missing it could explain the play.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Do Hope freehubs need a 10 speed spacer? I know my Shimano ones do when mounting 10 speed cassettes. If that is missing it could explain the play.

Are you sure about that? I’ve got Deore, SLX and XT hubs and no spacer required for a 10 speed cassette.

giddyrob
    Free Member

ok, so do I need a spacer or not? Does that go behind cassette next to the wheel?

Cheers

giddyrob
    Free Member
    njee20
    Free Member

Are you sure about that? I’ve got Deore, SLX and XT hubs and no spacer required for a 10 speed cassette.

Spacer needed on road wheels with a 10 speed cassette (except WH/FH-7800 and WH/FH-6700), not on MTB wheels.

Trimix
    Free Member

Spacer or not, it should still interface with the freehub part. So if it rotates one of those bits is worn.

Tighten it all you like, wear is wear. Take it apart and look first before you over tighten it.

timba
    Free Member

^^if the freehub body is worn it’ll cause all sorts of problems including not being able to remove the cassette easily

Take the cassette off. If the freehub’s not too worn remove any burrs, then re-assemble and tighten

If you’re not happy with what you find email a photo to Hope, they’re very helpful IME

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did you fit the correct cassette?
    Hope say XT/980/1080 or above for the alloy carrier.

If they are moving then you could well have damaged the free hub, some cab be filed down some are dead if it’s gone too far and it will be a right pain to remove (last one that went too far I binned with the cassette at about 7 years old)

(not mine)

perthmtb
    Free Member

Spacer needed on road wheels with a 10 speed cassette (except WH/FH-7800 and WH/FH-6700), not on MTB wheels.

Ah Ok, thanks for clearing that up. So I assume lunge was talking about road wheels when he said he uses a spacer…

Superficial
    Free Member

In my experience, that wear on the free hub body never causes the rings to be actually loose, provided the lockring is tight. I’d wager you need to nip it up.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘rear cassette rings moving independently (play)’ is closed to new replies.