Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • rear cassette question
  • headfirst
    Free Member

I currently have an 8spd 12-26t cassette on my old winter/commuting/touring road bike. I’d like to replace it with a new 11-32t cassette (also 8spd). I guess I need a longer chain, but I need a new one anyway. I’m just worried whether the new cassette will work with my current derailleur? Any other potential problems??

bigyinn
    Free Member

Worn chainrings?

headfirst
    Free Member

…and so slippage with new chain, is that what you’re getting at?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    foxyrider
    Free Member

Can you look at the code on the mech to see if it is a medium/long cage (which I am sure it is) if its gs model it should be fine? Presuming its shimano ?

headfirst
    Free Member

mech is a tiagra and the cage is about twice as long as on my other ‘sunday best’ road bike, so I’m guessing its at least a medium if not a long cage.

I haven’t mentioned yet that its a triple up front ( 😳 oh, the shame!) but that shouldn’t be an issue should it? Middle chainring looks like it needs replacing, small ring looks as good as new, honest.

rootes1

length of cage is often independent of cassette capacity.

rear mechs are spec’d by (exclduing pull ratio and speeds):

* What the maximum sprocket size they have handle; and
    * How much slack chain they can deal with (capacity in teeth – difference between big ring and little plus difference in teeth between little sprocket and big sprocket added to the chainring difference.) – longer the cage bigger the capacity to deal with more chain slack.

You might find an older 8 speed mech might not be able to deal with the 32, but fit it and see – you will have to play with the ‘B’ Adjust screw to get the correct clearance from mech top jockey wheel and 32 sprocket..

worth trying before you buy a new mech – nowt to lose by seeing

rootes1

techdocs for 9 speed tigra says max 27t sprocket size for med and long cage

makes sense as Tiagra is road groupo

headfirst
    Free Member

cheers rootes, that techdocs is dead handy.

Shame about max 27t though…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Try it and see. The worst that’ll happen is the mech sits on the bigger sprockets and it won’t change very happily. In which case new mech time!

headfirst
    Free Member

Might chance the 11-30t then…

Another numpty question: there don’t seem to be many 8spd mechs about, I could just use a 9spd and adjust the limits to give me just 8 gears, yes? That’s if I end up needing a new mech.

Solo
    Free Member

rear cassette question

I’ve a genuine Q.

Why do we call it a rear cassette ?.

Its not as if we have front cassettes, to the best of my knowledge anyway.

gwaelod
    Free Member

I’m running an an 11-28 cassette with a tiagra rear on my road bike with no issues…(actually it’s a 12/28 as I did a futz between an 11-28 and a 12-25 cassette and swapped around some of the smaller sprockets)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘rear cassette question’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts