Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rear car window loose.
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

My window on the hatchback boot door is coming away. Dunno how long it’s been like that but I noticed it today when I shut the boot and it rattled.

Easy fix? The car’s 17 years old so not surprising really, but hopefully something as simple as squirting a load of glue/sealant/gripfill in the gap 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

What car ? Is it bonded in place or held in with rubbers ?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Same as this, bonded in place I think.

nealglover
    Free Member

How much is your glass excess on insurance?

I had auto glass take out and rebond my windscreen (through insurance) and it only cost £25.

jambourgie
    Free Member

No idea tbh. Insurance never occurred to me. Will have a look.

Phil_H

Could be rust seperating the bonding agent from the body work. That’s what it was on my old transporter.
    Solution was to remove the glass, sort the rust and respray then refit the glass.

jambourgie
    Free Member

How much is your glass excess on insurance?

Computer says no. As the glass isn’t actually damaged. So I can either get it repaired myself, or wait for it to fall out and then ring the insurance again.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Just take it up to your local windscreen replacement centre to ask them for a quote. As above, probably only £50 max i’d have thought.

nealglover
    Free Member

Computer says no. As the glass isn’t actually damaged. So I can either get it repaired myself, or wait for it to fall out and then ring the insurance again.

Shame. Some companies are just stupid 🙄

When I rang mine they said “sure, we would rather do it now as it’s cheaper than a full replacement down the line when it breaks”

Legal&General was mine.

PePPeR

The insurance generally only covers “windscreens”

I know someone who locked their keys in the car, who broke a side window to gain access. To find out it wasn’t covered, if they’d broken the windscreen it would have been!

Best way is to find a small local windscreen repair guy and ask him to take it out and reseal it.

I do suspect that there will be rust causing it though!

petrieboy

Similar happened to the windscreen on my cavalier back in the day. Used to get a blast of cold air and engine noise when I went over a bump and the glass lifted!
    It was rust causing it
    At least on a tailgate you can just replace the whole tailgate with a scrap one. Might be worth having a deposit on a replacement at least before removing the glass just in case you find you need it

Or squirt a load of silicone in and hope for the best!!

jambourgie
    Free Member

Or squirt a load of silicone in and hope for the best!!

🙂

That is what I did.

After cleaning it all up with isopropyl. Seems solid enough, I don’t think it would actually fall out without warning as it’s held in place at least by the wiper mechanism and the little cables for the heated window. Probably wouldn’t have done it if the whole window was loose.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rear car window loose.’ is closed to new replies.