Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rear brake being a pain………help before it gets assaulted!!!!!!!!
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Ok…..went for a ride saturday was a bit muddy all rode ok, washed bike on monday rear brake seized onto disc. So i took out pads (ok) checked caliper (ok +clean) checked operation of pistons (ok)i did clean pistons etc. Put it all back together and brakes seemed ok (a tiny amount of scrubbing).

Went to get the bike for a ride tonight and guess what rear brake seized up again can hardly pedal it. So i have done the same as monday but i suspect a piston is creeping forward over time.

Any ideas on what to do as i’m a bit annoyed (understatement) and have had to let someone down on a ride tonight.

argoose
    Free Member

Try taking the pads out work the pistons out a shade (technical term) spray liberally with silicone lube, work pistons back in,clean as much lube off as possible. Repeat in needed and hopefully sorted 🙂

bigbloke
    Free Member

argoose……thats what i’m doing currently. Will leave it to the morning see if one is creeping out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigbloke
    Free Member

Update…..

Cleaned calipers down , pumped each piston in/out each time cleaning with brake fluid, then did a full bleed hose/caliper/lever.

It appears to have worked and it is all running (on the stand) clear and free after braking etc.

Something i did notice was there was a hell of a lot of air in the system and the “dirty” syringe mounted on the lever had a lot of water in the fluid too. This is obviously not right, i’m guessing seal leak or something???

As for the short term i’ll moniter the performance of the brake etc as i cannot see or find an obvious leak.

argoose
    Free Member

Thoroughly dry the caliper, put a strong elastic band around lever and bars overnight and see if any fluid is forced out. This should show up any leak

bigbloke
    Free Member

argoose…..have done as you said and put some kitchen towel under the caliper to help show any spots. Will have a nose in the morning after work.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Been to check the brakes, no leaks this morning. So no idea if i have a leak or not really. Guess i’ll just ride and monitor it.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Also make sure there is no wheel wobble.

Yep the fluid should be clean.

argoose
    Free Member

Is it mineral or DOT 4, and how long ago was it changed last.
    Had to shorten the hose on a new set of Avid Elixir couple weeks ago, DOT 4 that came out was cack

bigbloke
    Free Member

argoose…..brakes are only 7 months old, i thought it was DOT5.1 in Avids, hope so as its what i put in.

Frankenstein……no wheel wobble i can see.

rode yesterday, brake did not seize up, but i reckon its a bit weaker on biting but i could be being paranoid now.

argoose
    Free Member

I used my avid’s once and then shortened hose and brake fluid was black.
    Would be nice to hear if anyone else has found the same with new brake sets

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rear brake being a pain………help before it gets assaulted!!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.