Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rear B&M standlight not 100%
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

As above, just in case anyone has an idea.

My one of these, 4yrs old (with standlight), never switches on for a few hundred metres (at a guess) ut is then fine. I can’t think why unless the standlight capacitor (is it a cap?) is a bit fecked and sucks up some current or something.

I guess it’s worth opening up?

cynic-al
    Free Member

C’mon electronics nerds, SAVE MY LIGHT

simondbarnes

Open it up, stick a spoon in there, put it back together and away you go
    (or buy a new one for about 24 quid)

CraigW
    Free Member

Have you checked all of the wiring?
    Make sure the connections are OK, and live and earth are the right way around. You are using a twin core wire, not trying to earth through the frame? That probably wouldn’t work very well.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why would wiring affect it for a few seconds at the start only? Not twin core.

SDB – I don’t see why this stuff should be viewed as disposable.

scruff9252

It sounds like the capacitor may be shot. Open up and inspect. You should be able to check the capacitors health with a multimeter.

If your soldering is up to it, you should be able to pop a new one in. A new capacitor should be pennies from rs components / perhaps maplin.

otsdr
    Free Member

I think the silver/gold disc that can be seen through the clear top side is a supercapacitor:

ribena
    Free Member

Why would wiring affect it for a few seconds at the start only? Not twin core.

Its a Light Emitting Diode, and they only light up when the current flows the correct way, so it’s possible it won’t illuminate until the capacitor is charged which works either way it’s wired.

I’m not sure if i’m taking sense btw, all my knowledge is based on a Radio Shack 150 in one electronics kit from my childhood 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Al, I have the same light on three bikes, they’ve done loads of miles each.

No trouble with anyu Neil this weekend when I found the rear light wasn’t working. There’s a handy green led on the headlamp to tell you the tail light is operating. I had a look this evening and I think it’s the wiring that’s at fault. . I’ve ordered some new cables and connectors, hopefully that will sort it. Some of the insulation had worn through against the headlamp mounting bracket and I think the connector at the head lamp had broken .

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers all, I’ve swapped it (out 😀 ) for a spare and will try to open it up.

Anyone know how to fix the wipers on my Smart Roadster?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rear B&M standlight not 100%’ is closed to new replies.