Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Rear Bike Rack for an Alfa 156 Saloon
  • tobciocc
    Free Member

Hi – does anybody know of one that’ll fit? Struggling to find one where the manufacturer states that it will.
    Many thanks
    Toby

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have a halfords high mount that I used to use on a alfa 156.

The straps for the bottom were long and ended in a hook, and I would take them past the bumper and hook them onto something more secure under the car.

The high mount has the advantage of raising the bike above the plate and lights which you are not supposed to block.

Another advantage is that the high section can be angled back, mine was parallel to the rear window of the alfa, so the bars the bike rest on are now more like hooks, so unless the whole rack comes off the bike is going to stay on the car.

You should retighten the straps after a few miles from first installation, and maybe check them at periods, but mine felt quite secure and I was happy with 4.5k worth of turner hanging off of it.

I also used one of those bars that keeps the steering straight on when you mount the bike in a workstand (a park one b ut cheaper ones are available).

Nothing was touching the car.

If you are near Horsell in Surrey you can try my old one on for size – could even buy it if you don’t want a new shiny one.

hatter

It’s not listed on the Thule website so either they haven’t tested it (unlikely) or the bodywork isn’t strong enough and you shouldn’t strap anything onto it.

I had a 156 Sportwagon (03 plate) and when I inquired I was told in no uncertain terms not to strap anything onto it. Had to get a tow-bar fitted in the end.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My HiMount was pretty solid on the boot.

lee170
    Free Member

Saris bones will fit anything, really good rack.
    I’ve had one for years, I also change my cars far to often, it’s fitted to everyone of my vehicles.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Saris bones wont clear the bike from the lights/plate though – so you would need a light board to be legal. Otherwise any insurance claim from someone who went into the back of you and trashed your bikes might be moot if you get a clever lawyer against you.

tobciocc
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – how much did you want for it? sounds ideal.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Are you close ?

£10 if you are – sending it might be a hassle and P&P would mean that it would be more worth your time going into your local Halfords.

Have to search around for the rubber mounts – which should be somewhere.

tobciocc
    Free Member

I’m in Hove, so not too far I guess. If you have the mounts it sounds good to me.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Hi,

it looks like the current one is £49 at Halfords, so I would think it is not worth driving up for it – I sometimes go to Brighton to visit relatives and it is about 1.5 hrs each way.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/accessories/cycle-carriers-bike-racks/halfords-rear-high-mount-3-cycle-carrier-strap-fitting

There is a video that shows the fitting.

And here is a picture of a saloon with one on :

Basically the low mount goes against the top of the rear bumper.

The middle support goes deeper on the 156 as the boot is longer, but not on the glass.

The lower straps go under and can hook onto bits under the car (be careful not to get too close to the exhaust.

there are side hooks that go onto the side edges of the boot.

Once tightened up the rack is pretty secure.

The high mount can then be angled back at the same angle as the rear window, and the bikes are then extra secure as they are ‘hooked’ on.

Halfords sell some foam seperators :

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/accessories/bike-rack-accessories/halfords-foam-bike-protectors-pair

I think the rack is only for 2 bikes when on a saloon.

You are welcome to drive up for the rack if you want, but I would buy new or look on ebay for a local seller – mine is like this one :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HALFORDS-REAR-HIGH-MOUNT-3-CYCLE-CARRIER-STRAP-FITTING-/231501070484?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35e68a0094

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Plus you have 6 minutes left to get 13% off that rack online!

br
    Free Member

Saris bones wont clear the bike from the lights/plate though

Are you sure, as they are adjustable in how you mount the arms:

Wheels can be removed if needbe. But main problem with any boot mounted rack is that you loose the boot… Fit a tow bar.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Are you sure, as they are adjustable in how you mount the arms:

so that pictures shows the plate and lights being obstructed – is that what you are trying to show?

br
    Free Member

so that pictures shows the plate and lights being obstructed – is that what you are trying to show?

I was showing how the arms are totally adjustable, in that you can take them off the alloy shaft and realigned them to get the width where you needed it.

The plate is not obstructed. If you stand back it’s easy to see, and at night lit up fine.

The lights aren’t impacted, you can absolutely see what they are doing – and if bothered, take off the wheels.

Never had a problem in the year I had the car – and only used the Saris as I couldn’t fit a towbar (for less than the car cost me).

Maybe also lucky that I live somewhere that the Police have better things to do, than hassle folk for nothing.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The plate is not obstructed. If you stand back it’s easy to see, and at night lit up fine.

The lights aren’t impacted, you can absolutely see what they are doing – and if bothered, take off the wheels.

the plate has obstruction – I can only read it if directly behind – I wonder how a speed camera might cope with it?

And the lights are obscured, from that angle about 40% of the lights are covered.

Here is a quote from a CTC document which I can’t find a link for :

“At home and abroad on any vehicle: you must not have anything, not even a spoke, obscuring the least little bit of any lamp or number plate from the view of an observer. “.

Up to you, but you always run the risk if rear-ended that someone will try and wriggle out of an insurance claim based on not having a clear view of your lights.

When looking for that document I saw that using a strap on rack is also a bad idea if going to the continent…

br
    Free Member

the plate has obstruction – I can only read it if directly behind – I wonder how a speed camera might cope with it?

Not a problem around here 🙂

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-21413646

IMO Folk worry too much.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

IMO Folk worry too much

you’ll be worried when someone trashes your bikes and then gets out of paying for them…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Rear Bike Rack for an Alfa 156 Saloon’ is closed to new replies.