Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rear axle stuck – Scott genius help
  • tims846
    Free Member

Whilst trying to remove the rear wheel to clean cassette / hub the through axle handle came off ( unscrewed) but the axle stayed put. So I can now not remove the wheel.
    Any suggestions on how to solve this would be much appreciated.

oldnpastit

Can you screw it back on with some loctite on the threads?

tims846
    Free Member

This is what I’m hoping, just got to wait for the shops to open tomorrow to buy some locktite and keep my fingers crossed.

I’m just wondering if there’s a plan B incase that fails.

oldnpastit

Plan B would be an Ez-out, one of those things with a left-hand thread.

BearBack
    Free Member

Current platform genius and older pull shock use the DT Swiss rws style axle. (Is that Correct in your application?)
    The lever would only unscrew if the end has pulled off the splines or if it’s a plastic version and the captive splines are stripped. Either from ham fists or impact could break it.
    You should have the splined end of the rws still showing and you can simply replace the lever part. It is fixed to the axle with a torx screw I believe hidden under a cap.
    Alternatively, vice grips on the splined axle if you don’t want to simply replace the lever. Afaik Levers are cross compatable with all rws axles, be it 5mm, 9mm, 10mm and 12mm.

tomcrow99

The rear maxle got stuck in my Kona process 153, it was frozen into the hub, unscrewing it simply splayed the chainstays apart. After trying various things I was on the verge of getting the angle grinder out as it still wouldn’t budge. But took it to the LBS where I think he just put it in a vice and hit it with a big hammer till it came out. Rather him than me I gueess. Maxle was pretty much destroyed (though this was as much from all my cack handed attempts) so quite an expensive lesson to take out and grease maxle regularly! Back end needs a rebuild now though as it seriously creaks under power.

tims846
    Free Member

I managed to solve it with some thread lock.

The handle mechanism unscrewed from the axle, which was still in the bike.

I put some strong thread lock on the handle thread and wound it back into the axle, let it set and hey presto it worked.

Many thanks for all the help.

Poopscoop

Nice one tims.

Will remember this thread as my frame uses same axle. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rear axle stuck – Scott genius help’ is closed to new replies.