Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Rear 650b Trail Tyres (Yes, again!)
  • fathomer

Firstly, apologises for yet another tyre thread.

However, I’m about to dip my toe into the world of 650b for the first time and after a bit of advice on rear tyres. Will be used on a 125mm trail bike that will do a bit of everything, trail centres, Peak District, Lakes, maybe an Enduro etc etc.

Think I’ve narrowed it down to either a Spec Purgatory or Minion DHR2 and will probably use it year round, though in the height of summer I may give a Spec Slaughter or something of that ilk ago.

So, which would you go for, or would you go for something else?

cokie

I ran a Purgatory for years and really liked it. Cleared well, predictable and good levels of grip.I was forced to get a Beaver 2.2 Exo due to mud clearance issues on the new bike, but it’s superb. I much prefer it to the Purgatory. The pattern is like mini spikes. It clears very quickly, rolls fast, its predictable and the side nobbles grip really well. In loamy and muddy conditions it cuts through nicely. It’s not fantastic on really hardpack stuff- that’s were the Purg is better. My own opinion of course.

chiefgrooveguru

The DHR2 is bloody brilliant. However the 3C compound will wear quicker than a Purgatory, so the cost per mile is probably three times as much. What are you putting on the front?

stevied
    Free Member

^ This. Very happy with the DHR2 on the back. Did have a 3C but swapped to a normal compound as the 3C was quite draggy/fast wearing.
    Will put something faster on the back once things dry out a bit (possibly an Ikon? )

fathomer

chiefgrooveguru
    What are you putting on the front?

Because I have issues, it’ll match the rear, so either a Butcher or Minion DHF (very sad I know!)

stevied – Member
    Did have a 3C but swapped to a normal compound as the 3C was quite draggy/fast wearing.

I ‘think’ the DHR2 only comes in the 3c for the 650 tyres.

stevied
    Free Member

I ‘think’ the DHR2 only comes in the 3c for the 650 tyres.

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-470-121-minion-dhr-ii

superfli
    Free Member

Butcher+Purg is a great combo for where I live. Possibly not so good for gloopy mud, but ours is wet and only 1″ deep until hard chalk underneath+lots of roots.

chiefgrooveguru

Finally, a dual compound 27.5 DHR2 is in the catalogue! However, is anywhere actually selling them?

chiefgrooveguru

Awesome Google Fu! 😉

I guess I should buy one and take the 3C off the back whilst it’s still got plenty of front tyre life left in it! fathomer, I’d put a DHR2 on the front as well, brakes much better than the DHF.

fathomer

Thanks chaps, I love being corrected when it’s in my benefit (don’t tell the mrs).

Just to be clear, the non 3c rolls better and lasts longer (edit: and cheaper) at the expense of a little grip, which is less important on the rear?

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’d say that’s a pretty good summary. I’ve never felt the need for a 3C on the back, only ever run dual compound HR2s and now a DHR2 in place of the HR2.

chiefgrooveguru

The DC will definitely last longer than the 3C and have less compound grip (ie on roots and rocks and hardpack) but just as much tread grip (on softer surfaces where it digs in). Interesting to hear from stevied that it rolls faster because the 3C rolls remarkably fast for such a grippy tyre, as quick as the black chili Trail King I had on before.

stevied
    Free Member

it rolls faster because the 3C rolls remarkably fast for such a grippy tyre

The 3C was surprisingly fast for the grip it offered but happy to sacrifice a little compound grip for longer lifespan.

alexh
    Free Member

My minion ss has just arrived from pushy’s. Looking forward to trying it, I’m not overly keen on having a draggy rear tyre, but also I’m not a fan of lightweight tyres that get holed easy. I do however like a big burly tyre up front

fathomer

Again, thanks for the input.

Just ordered a DHF 3C/DHR2 DC combo from AllTricks. ‘If’ we get a decent summer I’ll probably give the Minion SS a whirl.

honourablegeorge

One thing on the dual compound – it’s a mix of 60a and 62a – so parts of it are harder/less grippy than a single compound 60a

erny
    Free Member

I’ve put a minion SS on the back, I live in the lakes so good draining rocky trails, I’ve done 4 rides with it on and really like it, a lot gripper than I thought and really quick rolling, I had a HR11 on before and it won’t be going back on! Going to get the 29er version for the hardtail.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Butcher+Purg is a great combo for where I live. Possibly not so good for gloopy mud, but ours is wet and only 1″ deep until hard chalk underneath+lots of roots.

For the love of god and all that is holy, do not use the Butcher anywhere near somewhere chalky and rooty like Aston Hill.

The best combo for general all conditions trail riding that I’ve ever used, was an Advantage rear and Highroller front. Unfortunately you can’t get that for 650B so go with an Ardent on the rear rear and a Highroller 2 2.3/2.4 up front.

alexh
    Free Member

Minion ss exo silkworm and hr2 3c max terra just arrived from Australia for 20 pounds less than buying in the UK. Pushys, great service as they arrived in 6 days.

I like to support my lbs usually…

stevied
    Free Member

Just ordered a DHF 3C/DHR2 DC combo from AllTricks

That’s what I ordered, on Monday, and out for delivery today. Can’t complain with a 2 day delivery, from France 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I have succumbed… In addition to the two DHR2 3C and two Shorty 3C I have, I now have a DHR2 dual and a Minion SS dual on the way. So that gives me the following combos:

Shorty / Shorty (muddy races)
    Shorty / DHR2 3C (winter default)
    DHR2 3C / DHR2 3C (current pairing)
    DHR2 3C / DHR2 dual (spring/autumn default)
    DHR2 3C / Minion SS (summer)
    DHR2 dual / Minion SS (if I feel the 3C is getting too torn up in the dry)
    Shorty / DHR2 dual (summer dusty sandy looseness)

I expect I’ll usually keep one wheelset with these: Shorty / DHR2 3C
    And the other with these: DHR2 3C / DHR2 dual

Anyone want any 26″ tyres? 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Rear 650b Trail Tyres (Yes, again!)’ is closed to new replies.