Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Really wide front tyres?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

2nd ride on the thin bike at the weekend after 5 months of fat and there was a hint of the old magic there.

The get-stuck-in feel, the supple suspension, the stiff yet compliant frame, the trails coming alive *cough* all sadly undermined by what appeared to be a road bike tyre on the front. Of course it wasn’t it was a 2.5 Minion but it just looked hopelessly lost and feeble after staring down a 4.8 JJ for months

So what is there in wide high-volume 26″ Minion-esque fronts? Have got an old wire bead 2.4″ Big Betty that’s suitably massive but it also weighs a ton so a folder preferably.

Ta folks

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Man rides fatty. Man get off fatty and rides skinny tyred bike. Man complains it’s not a fatty and is skinny.

Hmmm.

Man should ride fatty again?

nedrapier

Surly Dirt Wizard 2.75 and Knard 3.0.

stevied
    Free Member

Didn’t they do a 2.7″ DHF?

Edit: still do but only in Dual ply

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you can’t make a 2.5 minion work then there is something wrong….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And to think people refer to FS bikes as skill compensators…

chiefgrooveguru

Add a big mud guard so you can’t see how thin it looks?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of “Liteville special” Magic Marys in 2.5″ and they are brilliant. Noticeably wider than the standard 2.35″. Think they’re built on a Fat Albert carcass. Don’t think you’ll find them on general sale though.

The on-one Chunky Monkey is very good too. Had one on the front of the hardtail for over a year now.

Northwind

I think Man has to ride through some standing mud to remind himself of how much better skinny tyres are at some jobs.

tops5
    Free Member

Had this exact same issue on Saturday after going back to the FS after a month on the fatty.

Ordered a Magic Mary which is what should have been on in the 1st place as the HR2 nearly killed me (and did kill my rear mech/hanger)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Yeah, low ground pressure does have disadvantages.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Really wide front tyres?’ is closed to new replies.