Really good little speakers.

Home Forum Chat Forum Really good little speakers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Really good little speakers.
  • Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

I know its been done before but I didn’t need to pay attention then.
    Want something that I can plug both my nexus and iPod into that has excellent sound and small enough to take on holiday.
    £100 budget.

shermer75

Minirig!!!!!

Premier Icon MartynS
    Subscriber

These here

For the money these are stunning….

Quick edit… It’s the xmi ones I have

Karl33to

I’ve heard one of those minrig’s and they sound fantstic, nice and loud and clear! If I had the money it would be top of my list.

CountZero

Depends when you want it. These are looking good; http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1423887082/bongo-bamboo-bluetooth-speaker-subverting-the-reta

When mine arrives I’ll let you know how good it actually is… 😀

grum

Oooh that looks nice. How much is postage to the UK?

Edit: looks like I’m too late anyway

Premier Icon DaveRambo
    Subscriber

I second what MartynS said – I have one and they are excellent.
    You can also chain them together for a louder bigger sound

stumpy01

Mini max II are pretty good.

JCL

Just for the record, no little speakers are “really good”.

Jujuuk68

JCL – you never heard a pair of Linn Kan’s properly driven with a decent Naim stack from an LP12.

Thats “really good to me”.

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

Spend £100 more on one of these in brown leather, boxed as new *cough* email in profile

joolsburger

Don’t people listen in stereo any more? If you want some good powered speakers maybe a pair of little active monitors like Behringers or Alesis would sound better than these lifestyle options? Maybe these http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pc-speakers/198141/m-audio-studiophile-av-40

Kan’s did sound OK apart from the whole no bass thing.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Thank god it’s not just me.

joolsburger

what isn’t?

These are about as good as it gets from small drivers:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/Pluto-2.1.htm

But the complete Pluto loudspeakers aren’t that small and they’re a little bit expensive…

To be honest, big speakers have almost as many (but different) problems as small speakers.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

what isn’t?

Wondering why “mono” is making a resurgence.

joolsburger

It’s strange that’s for sure. These things sound OK if you’re gardening or doing some stuff round the place but I don’t think they compare to proper speakers with a bit of sound stage and what have you.

shermer75

That Bongo: Bamboo looks like it could almost be on the ‘Aaargh! My eye!’ thread

donks

Minirig speaker…..these are amazing but not Bluetooth. But it’s just a cable from your device into the speaker. £95 for the standard and you can get a sub for £150 which turns it into something unreal for the size.

grum

JCL – you never heard a pair of Linn Kan’s properly driven with a decent Naim stack from an LP12.

*swoon*

JCL

Only at shows. Pleasant but where are the bottom 100hrtz?

CountZero

Jools, did you miss the bit about being small and portable, to take on holiday? Seriously, nobody’s going to be taking an amp and a pair of LS3/5A’s in their luggage! Get real, for heaven’s sake! 🙄

superfli

£25 and this little Veho M4 is excellent! Well, good enough for trips away and BBQs etc. OK you wont feel the bass, but you dont expect that.
    Bluetooth, rechargeable and also has SDCard slot so you dont even need a player (very handy feature, I didnt think I’d even use that). I use it in my garage, in the kitchen, my lad uses it with his music on sdcard, used at BBQs over summer and used whilst away camping and hotels.

One of my best purchases of the year 🙂

If you want something bigger and better I would consider the M5 considering how good the M4 is:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/veho-m5-bluetooth-portable-speaker-n64da

Freester

JBL?

I’ve got one of these. Not a bad sound for such a small bit of kit.

Looks like this is the latest version.

Mine came with a bag, all the different iPod adapators and a 3.5mm jack to plug the phone in.

yunki

deffo not my cup of tea, a massive step backwards in sound reproduction..

but within this category the minirig is getting some high praise indeed

aphex_2k

100 quid for tiny little speakers? sod that.

$10 for xmini-2. Get a couple. Job done.

z1ppy

Got the g/f a x-mini, as a stocking filler, she uses it a the time (@ home & on the road), its a great bit of kit & recommended on here IIRC

bikebouy

Don’t know if this link will work but I bought some Sony SRS BTX500 speakers a few weeks ago and they’ve been really rather good. Normal Bluetooth connection, rechargeable battery etc. and they sound excellent and compact enough to take anywhere..
    Sony SRS BTX500

stumpy01

For all the ‘dreadful mono’ posters, the Mini Max II I mentioned are stereo.
    And they’re a good solution for portable music.
    Funnily enough they won’t sound like an expensive pair of hefty audiophile speakers, but that’s not exactly a surprise, is it?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Winston Churchill.

spectabilis

Make something….

Premier Icon p7rich
    Subscriber

I own these and they’re excellent. Not as tiny as some other suggestions (and a bit over budget) but they’re in a different league. At just 6″ high they’re deffo portable. Like taking your hi fi on holiday. 🙂

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/A2B-Powered-Desktop-Speakers

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

For all the ‘dreadful mono’ posters, the Mini Max II I mentioned are stereo.

Looks like they’ve been superseded.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B47CW3Q

Comes in any colour you like so long as it’s toxic.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Hang on.

With the modular Buddy-Jack design you can connect a row of MAXs for jaw dropping audio, capable of forming an almost endless daisy chain of self-powered, bass-enhanced portable speaker system.

So there may be two speakers, but they’re not stereo speakers. WTF is the point of that then?

I’m going back to one of these. Who’s with me?

stumpy01

Cougar – Moderator
    Hang on.

So there may be two speakers, but they’re not stereo speakers. WTF is the point of that then?

Yeah. That’s why I didn’t recommend those ones. The Mini-Max II’s are NOT the same.

Here:
    http://www.libertylondongirl.com/2010/10/15/gadgets-xmi-x-mini-max-2-portable-speakers/

They are a pair of speakers that come with a stereo cable – as in one connector is labelled L & one is labelled R; stereo…….if you play something like the beginning of Dude Looks Like a Lady, you get the L/R separation of the intro. Like I said; stereo….

I’ve had mine for two years, they’ve been on camping trips, on several holidays, sat in the garden all day while I’m out there and they are still fine. The cable is the weak point I think, as it is very thin gauge wire. I take care with it, as I’m sure one day it will fail.

sweepy

I can’t believe minirig expect people to have a lead plugged in in this day and age. And at that money.
    I got the Mrs a kitsound hive for 25 quid from sainsbury and its good.

Premier Icon Woody
    Subscriber

sweepy – how did you get it for that price? Cheapest I can find is £40 and most are £49 !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Really good little speakers.’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top