Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • really getting pissed off with presta valves
  • Klunk
    Free Member

four on the road bikes and every one is different, 2 of differing brands go upto 110 psi no probs, one won’t go past 60 and the other won’t go past 80, complete pain in the arse.

and relax

qtip

You have 4 wheels on your road bike?

aracer
    Free Member

Eh? I’ve used loads of Presta tubes on road bikes, and yet to find one which won’t do 100psi. Is there some problem with your pump?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Are you sure its not your pump?
    I have never noticed a difference between valves

sandwicheater

I’ve a tube on my commuter that has a smooth shaft so the pump head doesn’t grip. All the others I’ve seen have screws the length of the shaft.

Keep meaning to change it but like the OP, much past 50psi the pump head just doesn’t grip. Had to stand on the pump head to get it up to pressure.

All presta valves are not created equal.

Klunk
    Free Member

if was the pump it would be different tubes that wouldn’t go past 60, it’s always the same tube that won’t inflate past 60 and always the same 2 that easily inflate to 110.

they all have threaded shafts btw.

steve_b77
    Free Member

They’re cheap, change them and get on with it

qtip

Did you stealthily edit an ‘s’ on the end of ‘bike’, thus rendering my comment retarded? Or did I retardedly miss the ‘s’?

aracer
    Free Member

How exactly does it not inflate past 60? What happens when you try?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Weird, never ever had such an issue in many years of presta valves on many tubes on many road bikes. What actually happens?

Kryton57

Loose valve core? Missing/old/cheap o-ring on the core?

I had two continentals that blew the cores out over 80psi no matter how tight I screwed them in. Just bin them.

andytherocketeer

it was a ninja edit 😉

never had an issue even with smooth ones up to 120psi at least.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Presta valves…completely hateful devices. Every single one I’ve used has snapped at the end, rendering it useless.

Schraeder FTW.

Kryton57

Every single one I’ve used has snapped at the end, rendering it useless.

THAT is user error.

aracer
    Free Member

You must have got a bad batch – none of mine have ever done that.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Presta valves…completely hateful devices. Every single one I’ve used has snapped at the end, rendering it useless.

Schraeder FTW.

Assuming it’s the nut end that snaps on you, all you have done is render it the same as a Schreader valve, albeit one with a narrower diameter.

lemonysam
    Free Member

PJM1974 » Presta valves…completely hateful devices. Every single one I’ve used has snapped at the end, rendering it useless.

?

Klunk
    Free Member

gets stranger, digital pressure gauge reads 112 when pump reads 110 and 90 for when the pump was saying 60 and 80.

What happens when you try?

you keep pumping and the valve won’t let any more air in or (or does a bit it seems but confuses the pump)

andytherocketeer

I could possibly make mine snap, if I used some meaty bastard cable cutter.

Schraeder. Fat hateful things that won’t fit thru rim holes.

aracer
    Free Member

you keep pumping and the valve won’t let any more air in

So the pressure on the pump’s guage keeps going up and it gets harder to pump?

Are you still sure it’s not your pump?

globalti
    Free Member

If the pump is a Joeblow or any that relies on a squeezing rubber ring to hold the head on the valve, the rubber ring has worn on the inside. You can buy a replacement.

teasel
    Free Member

You don’t have to be ham-fisted to break a Presta. After inflating a tube with a hand pump I heard a weird creaking/cracking sound, leaned forward to investigate and the thing shot into the ground like a bullet; it had sheared mid thread below the removable core section. It was a (usually reliable) Schwalbe tube.

Sorry, Klunk. No help for your weirdness, I’m afraid.

mrjmt
    Free Member

dont presta valves work by using the pressure in the tube to push the valve core upwards to seal using the rubber ring around the bottom of the core, and then the pump creates a higher pressure on the top of the core, moving it downwards to open the valve and allow the air in?

So, maybe your valve core is a bit stiff, and your pump is a bit weak?

aracer
    Free Member

…but it helps

Klunk
    Free Member

squirt of wd40 into the offending valves seems to have done the trick.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The only time I snapped a presta valve was when I was a kid. Some bigger kid pissed me off, so I let the tyres down on his bike, snapped off the threaded nipples on his valves and pushed the cores into the tube.
    Fix that you ****!

mrjmt
    Free Member

squirt of wd40 into the offending valves seems to have done the trick.

I’ll take that as a victory.

hooli

I have never had an issue with a presta valve, even the tubes I got fro the 99p shop!

spectraken
    Free Member

same for me, used all manner of tubes from dirt cheap to conti/schwalbe and so far so good.

thomthumb
    Free Member

smooth shaft so the pump head doesn’t grip

grr. requires 3 hands!

freeagent
    Free Member

I had a few issues with some cheap ones, but have settled on the £5 Schwalbe ones and never had a problem.

Scapegoat

Operator error. The issue is that the plunger needs to be pushed in by air pressure from the pump. Sometimes it refuses to break the seal, so before you attach the pump, unscrew the nipple and press the plunger so you hear a hiss. then attach the pump and carry on as before. Only this time the pressure gauge on the pump will be reading tyre pressure, not pump hose pressure.

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 to what Scapegoat says.

My gripe is with Presta valves and screw on pumps (I’m looking at you Lezyne): screw on pump; pump up tyre; unscrew pump – which pulls out the valve core and all your work disappears 😈

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘really getting pissed off with presta valves’ is closed to new replies.