Some of the top ones from me, what's on your list? Just felt the need to share (it's Burns night, I've had a few drams...)
1) All cycling is good, extending the commute is awesome, buying a cross bike to take in some cheeky fun bits is my best move yet!
2) Ardent tires horrifically bad in mud, Beavers awesome but as puncture resistant as wet tissue paper don't even look at a bramble bush...
3) Mudguards on a commuter (not the cross bike, but the roadrat), whilst looking HORRIFIC, are really amazing. Sorry, idiot realisation after 5 years of horrendous wet/cold/muddy feet/legs/arse
4) Softshells are the most ridiculously practical cycle wear (and for skiing!) for winter cold and wetness. 3 different thicknesses for different weather. Boosh. no more soaked through sweaty cold clammy wetness that even the best goretex gives (esp as I am a hot fatty)
5) having new biking expereinces, rather than more bikes/bike bits (except for a new corss bike of course... ahem...) is the nuts.
6) Just get out and ride. all encompassing work, family and (stupid me) scout leadership has meant joining group rides very dificult. This kept me off the bike as I felt I needed to be out with the Badgers (my local riding group). x-mas break saw me just getting out and riding and totally loving all mountain proper rides even on my own. A very deeply rewarding experience.
7) despite what said above, a new bike always rocks. cross bikes are a hoot!
Any startling realisations from you lot?
Right, where's the Bruichladdich...