Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Really cheap GPS
  • matt_outandabout

Suggest to me a really cheap GPS – just watching lots of them go on ebay for peanuts.
    I am aware that not all GPS are created equal, however I only want to use it for tracking my routes, downloading (ideally into memory map). I nav with map n compass just fine, so little interest in that.
    Sub £50 s/h would be good…

DickBarton

What phone do you have? Is smart and with gps then get an app, track your ride then email the gpx file to yourself and open in memory map – assuming the app you use does gpx.

matt_outandabout

Phone?

atlaz
    Free Member

Garmin eTrex are good. Useless for topo mostly but ideal for getting yourself out of the shit (if you’re dumb enough to get into it in the first place) and the batteries last a long time.

colournoise

Grabbed a PAYG Pulse Mini from T-mobile for 20 quid last year just for GPS tracking rides. It might be a tad slow, but as using it for just one task that don’t matter and I don’t care so much about breaking it. It also actually tracks better than either of the more expensive smartphones I’ve had.

They no longer stock them, but scouting the main mobile shops for a dirt cheap android PAYG phone with GPRS and Wifi (for uploading routes once home) might be an option.

slainte 💡 rob

montylikesbeer
    Gribs

I’ve got a basic old Garmin Etrex you could have for £10 with a data cable but if you’re using Memory Map then just pick up a cheap Windows Pocket pc, either with a built in gps or one that’ll take a gps cf card, and install the pocket version of the software. I use a Dell Axim and haven’t used the Etrex for years as it’s so handy having proper OS mapping to hand with a spot saying where I am.

matt_outandabout

What is your email – that could be a goer…..

alpin
    Free Member

whilst we’re at it, can someone recommend me a cheap/second hand GPS that will allow me to download routes onto it?

nothing fancy, primarily cheap and easy to use….

thanks in advance…

flatfish
    Free Member
    Gribs

It’s Gribbs at gmail dot com. I’ll find some AA batterys for it and check it still works as I haven’t used it for a few years.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Really cheap GPS’ is closed to new replies.