Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • really cheap brake pads (elixir, semi-metallic, chinese?)
  • smiff
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avid-Elixir-Disc-Brake-Pads-/330624053279

from 2.99 to 2.50 a pair.. lowest prices i’ve ever seen.

looking for something for the dry weather.

anyone think these might not be safe? anyone bought any? like cheap, but also like my brakes to work. might well be as good as any, dunno.

smiff
    Free Member

i’ll try them and let you know. his feedback is good. what could possibly go wrong? :p

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just bought some, wonder if I’ll die 😆

curlie467
    Free Member

Just dont be riding behind me when it happens Ste!

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

well he’s got 99.9% feedback.. so that means only 0.1% death rate?

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Nah, it means that 0.1% of the people who died came back to life (briefly) to post a negative review. So they must have died quite horribly and been a bit cross

steve_b77
    Free Member

Ah **** it, i can always put my foot on my tyre to slow down

mrjmt
    Free Member

I thought I’d seen these somewhere else before…

Not sure I’d trust the quality of their pads based on their choices in other areas!

curlie467
    Free Member

Do you get enough speed up with those big ****-off wheels to warrant having brakes anyway Ste? 😉

smiff
    Free Member

DX aw bloody hell. DX don’t do the pads though?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Well they turned up and look just like disco ones in the box.

Instructions are in English, so you never know they may be ok

smiff
    Free Member

yeah got mine too, not sure i’ll put them on front of FS bike right away.. way pads are attached to backs is not like usual, you can see the pad material through the back. odd?

nixie

way pads are attached to backs is not like usual

If you mean the holes like you can just see in the pic then I’ve seen this before. I think goodridge pads are like this.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Superstar and Disco pads are also like this as are stock Avid ones

hallz
    Free Member

I have avid elixer 5 brakes and recently made the mistake of buying pads for the elixer c / CD, which didnt fit mine (slightly too big). It makes me slightly nervous now when i see pads advertised for the ‘elixer’ without giving any info about which model.

Also, i have had a few cheaper sets of pads and they really havent lasted anything like as long as the originals. I’ve just bitten the bullet and bought pukka avid ones although at £18 each they are a bit pricey!!

From my recent experience as well, its been the quality of the metal bracket that holds them all together that has been most susceptable to breaking up.

smiff
    Free Member

£18? ‘avin’ a laugh. 7x the price of these. you could splash out £5 on Clarks or Superstar and be pretty confident in them too.

just had first ride on these cheap ones. not much power at first, took a while to bed in, now seem nice: quiet and lots of modulation vs the gold superstars i’m coming from.
    good dry weather pads i think! durability/staying-on-back yet to be decided though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Whats the feedback on these, how are they holding up?

smiff
    Free Member

wore my first pair out but that was in the peaks in the wet, any non-sintered would have worn out there.
    haven’t fallen apart.

thumbs up so far for me.
    possibly a bit less powerful than some pads – ? but good feel.

anyone else?

AJames
    Free Member

Don’t! False economy

smiff
    Free Member

well, it’s a slightly less good a deal than it was, he’s removed all but the one pad listing.
    2.99 is still pretty economical imho..

steve_b77
    Free Member

Rubbish, too thick to fit in my Elixirs

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I ordered some before the responses, I will probably see if they fit at the weekend.

What’s the good alternative, is it sintered Superstars?

smiff
    Free Member

for this weather, the cheapest sintered you can find.

maybe these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avid-Elixir-Disc-Brake-Pads-Metal-Sintered-Spring-/150796868206
    £5 delivered

or
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WESSEX-BIKING-BRAND-4-PAIRS-AVID-ELIXIR-SINTERED-DISC-BRAKE-PADS-/280774917112
    cheapest for 4 pairs i can see

more new “brands”, not tried them. (plasma! carbon! ceramic! just need nano particles in there and we can all play bullshit bingo)

about thickness.. i’d rather have thicker pads with more material and maybe let some fluid out, than thin ones that won’t last as long.. i had no problems fitting the really cheap ones though (Elixir R 2010)

smiff
    Free Member

ones i linked above are now £13.84 delivered for 4 pairs, by far the cheapest sintered Elixir i’ve seen, get ’em while it’s wet 😉
    i have no connection with these sellers btw just trying to help.. anyone tried these yet?

he has similarly cheap pads for tons of other brakes too:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/moxietrading/m.html?item=280774917112
    and good feedback, i’ll give him a go.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Check out the Uberbikecomponents pads, recently bought some, they’re holding up well. Not as cheap as the ones listed above but still a bargain!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘really cheap brake pads (elixir, semi-metallic, chinese?)’ is closed to new replies.