Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Really boring car breakdown cover question…
  • ronjeremy
    Free Member

Evening all

Just realised that I should sort out some kind of breakdown cover so who uses what and why

My background

1998 Volvo V70

212500 miles

Owned for well over 10 years, serviced annually passes MOT every time with no major defects, this year was a couple of bulbs, pads/discs, and new rear exhaust bracket

Annual mileage approx 15,000 few trips around UK loaded with bikes, surfboards and camping gear

Kinda attached to the old girl and seeing as how she does all I need I’ve no desire to change her

So what do you recommend

Cheers in advance all

MartynS

I use auto aid.
    £40 a year, you pay up front and reclaim the money in the event of a breakdown.
    You go through auto aid who pre authorise the refund (does that make sense??)

However I’ve never had to use them….. They have a great reputation though!!!!

Northwind

Been most happy with the AA tbh, good mechanics that went above and beyond, but also good call centre- keep you in the loop, don’t piss you about. RAC were a recurring nightmare for call centre bollocks, the spanners were fine but actually getting one to you is not so fine.

Check out topcashback and similiar for deals, I got full relay with everything down to about £40 last year by combining AA deals and topcashback.

andyl
    Free Member

Autoaid here too.

Used them twice for the landy, both times (flatbed required) and the 2nd time they were there within 10 minutes.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I have used a company called Quotelinedirect for the last few years. Something like £50/yr for European cover. They have been absolutely first rate on the multiple times that we had to use them. No need to pay more. With your car being the age and mileage that it is you’ll need to ensure that the policy you take out doesnt have age and mileage exclusions – a lot of them do.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Autoaid here too.

Claims seem to be settled in under a week.

trademark
    Free Member

I’ve been happily using Autonational Rescue for years now, £69 per year for the full package. Extra vehicle +%50
    New customers get 3 months extra free.

Autoaid belongs to them too, so as posters above for recommending them also.
    If I up the limit on my credit card I’ll be switching to Autoaid too.

Kryton57

Just read the small print. I discovered – after using start rescue for £45 cheaper road and recovery – thier operators like to go through the small print while you wait to find reasons that they won’t recover you.

In my case I was forced to join the AA on the phone who then arrived 20 mins later and towed me home no questions asked. Think I’ll stick with them TBH.

Nomad
    Free Member

Avoid Start Rescue. They are dire and as stated above will do all they can to get out of dealing with your breakdown unless you part with more £££.
    I personally can’t fault Green Flag via Caravan Club.

CheesybeanZ

I did a similar thread last month after a ridiculous renewal quote from the AA,we’re now with Autoaid.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Really boring car breakdown cover question…’ is closed to new replies.