Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Really bad experience at Evans Cycles Bristol :(
  • easyrider
    Free Member

I’ve just had a really bad experience with the staff at Evans in Bristol.
    In Jan 2013 I bought some Suplest MTB shoes for £125, the top of the line carbon soled ones.
    After merely 10 rides the material under the insole has literally fallen apart, it seems to be made of cardboard! It did this on a wet ride across Exmoor.
    So, I visisted Evans and first of all I had to get the assistant manager involved to get my voice heard, and his attitude was ‘normal wear and tear’. He also insinuated I was lying! The shoes have barely been worn for heavens sakes! Reluctantly he agreed to let the ‘Warranty department’ look at the shoes but it did not seem very hopeful. I used to race at Elite level, I’ve got shoes that are 13 years old and still perform perfectly. It’s totally obvious the goods are not fit for purpose!
    I’m still waiting on a call back from Evans. If they don’t see a problem then as I paid for the shoes on masterCard then there is recourse that way I suppose.
    Any one else had similar problems with Evans or any other bike shops?

Here’s a link to the rubbish shoes and you can see my negative review (1 star)
    Bad goods at Evans

andyrm
    Free Member

I don’t see where the ‘terrible service’ is, the assistant manager has sent them off for warranty inspection. Wait for their feedback and then make a judgement.

easyrider
    Free Member

The terrible service is they took an awful lot of persuasion. Apart from the hassle of the shoes falling apart whilst on a ride, and an uncalled for trip to Evans, where I had to coerce and badger them into what was blindingly obvious, then being called a liar (good as).

LoCo
    Free Member

Whose the UK Distributor? Send direct to them instead if you get no joy.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Should have bought Spesh BG…

Seems you also find them uncomfortable and stiff. Did you not try them on first?

In fairness to the guys in Evans its tricky to look at a pair of mud stained MTB shoes and see, clearly, if they have failed or just treated badly. Given the poor winter we have had they will have taken a pounding and if their build quality isnt up to much that isnt Evans fault and no doubt they get grief if they just send everything off for warranty if the customer wants so they have to draw a line.

Ive no doubt as an ex Elite rider that they werent 10 easy going rides you did, but fairly tough and probably fairly long too. I think your beef should be with the manufacturer as not fit for purpose, not the guy in Evans.

Did I mention you should have bought Spesh BG ones?

easyrider
    Free Member

Eurobike seems to be the distributor.
    Maybe I’ll call up Mastercard instead though.

wwaswas

I’ll call up Mastercard instead though.

think you only get 100 days for a charge back to they may not be interested.

easyrider
    Free Member

I’ve already got Spesh bg ones and would buy again, and also Sidis, as well as Adidas, Bontrager, Lake, and yet more Sidis, Sidis. I bought the shoes in January, and as I have retired from racing they have had almost no use. Besides a top of the range shoe is aimed at keen cyclists no?
    Evans sell these shoes, they should support their customers, end of story. If Evans can’t be bothered to help and masterCard neither then what next ? Then again maybe Evans will be bothered. Will update the posting.

ransos
    Free Member

Ive no doubt as an ex Elite rider that they werent 10 easy going rides you did, but fairly tough and probably fairly long too. I think your beef should be with the manufacturer as not fit for purpose, not the guy in Evans.

He bought them from Evans – the contract is with them, not the manufacturer.

This experience contrasts with Bike in Clifton. I had a pair of shoes fall apart, and they just gave me a new pair without fuss.

footflaps

The shop sold them to you, so they are responsible if the goods are not fit for purpose. It doesn’t matter what the manufacturer / distributor says / does.

Too many shops shirk their responsibility and just try and fob you off saying the manufacturer rejects the warranty claim, which is completely irrelevant.

easyrider
    Free Member

The shop sold them to you, so they are responsible if the goods are not fit for purpose. It doesn’t matter what the manufacturer / distributor says / does.

Those are my thoughts too…

and second that about Bike in Clifton, the manager their knows his stuff.

crazy-legs

Too many shops shirk their responsibility and just try and fob you off saying the manufacturer rejects the warranty claim, which is completely irrelevant.

Not really. Problem is it’s a bit of a grey timescale. One ride, yes, you’d just give a new pair of shoes. Ten rides, hmmm. I mean, what’s your definition of a “ride”? Ten miles round Cannock Chase or a day long epic in the Highlands, with some hike-a-bike through a bog and over rocks?

If the shop just gives a new pair of shoes then the manufacturer comes back and says “nothing wrong with these, they’ve just been battered to ****” then the shop is £125 down.
    So they’re not going to replace until the manufacturer has come back and said “yep, go ahead, give him a new pair and we’ll credit your account”

easyrider
    Free Member

As for the rides : 3 MTB rides of 3 hours a piece, the rest were dry commutes to work of 50 mins. That is all.

Well I’ll post some pics of the shoes, they even look new.

Of course if I had just left the shoes in their box or worn them around the house then there would not be a problem would there?
    (Apart from marking the wooden floors that is)

ransos
    Free Member

Not really. Problem is it’s a bit of a grey timescale. One ride, yes, you’d just give a new pair of shoes. Ten rides, hmmm. I mean, what’s your definition of a “ride”? Ten miles round Cannock Chase or a day long epic in the Highlands, with some hike-a-bike through a bog and over rocks?

If they lasted ten rides, regardless of length, then they’re not sufficiently durable. We’re talking about a product that cost £125!

clubber
    Free Member

The shop are perfectly reasonable in asking for someone more expert on the shoes to provide a view on whether it is a warranty claim.

What isn’t on is if they think that that alone allows them to get out of any warranty issues. as above, the issue is between the customer and the shop. The shop may agree with the distributor but if the customer doesn’t agree (and to be fair, having been on the side of the shop in a previous life, they never are even if it’s clear they’re taking the piss) then they are the ones who have to stand by that decision.

I actually had a similar situation a couple of years ago. A pair of Shimano shoes formed a crease inide the toebox after two rides which rubbed on my toe. the shop sent the shoes back to Madison as you’d expect, who claimed normal wear and tear (IIRC they were two months old by this point – I hadn’t used them much straight after buying them) – eg that I must have done something to them.

SOGA states that within six months, it’s up to the shop to prove that the goods aren’t faulty – they clearly hadn’t done that (nor Madison) and so stumped up for a replacement but much like the OP, they wouldn’t have done if I hadn’t chased/argued/etc. As such, I won’t use Rutland Cycles again…

Back to the OP though, given that you’re over six months from the purchase, you have to show that they’re not fit for purpose. I’d suggest that you might find that hard (afterall, they could have been used every day in that period, regularly getting soaked and then not dried out) but I would focus on the ‘fit for purpose’ side of things.

And FWIW, lots of shoes use ‘cardboard’ inside and I’ve never had an issue with them – if the worst happens, can you just remove it and replace with an insole or similar? I guess from your review, you don’t like them anyway so maybe no point.

thepurist

Sale of Goods Act flowchart thingy

I get to ‘the customer is entitled to a repair, replacement or partial refund’. There’s stuff on there about proving that the goods are faulty as well.

antigee

If the shop just gives a new pair of shoes then the manufacturer comes back and says “nothing wrong with these, they’ve just been battered to ****” then the shop is £125 down.

depends how you look at it – the profit part contributes to the cost of doing business and returns if you sell shoddy goods are part and parcel of the cost – so assuming normal mark ups the shop is down about £50 – also the VAT is 20% of that £125

How the supplier deals with returns is part of the business relationship – Evans only being a tiny bit player in the market won’t have very good input to its suppliers and probably gets well shafted

easyrider
    Free Member

And FWIW, lots of shoes use ‘cardboard’ inside and I’ve never had an issue with them – if the worst happens, can you just remove it and replace with an insole or similar? I guess from your review, you don’t like them anyway so maybe no point.

This cardboard becomes more like bog paper when it’s wet, its just crap stuff. These shoes can burn in hell they are *that bad*.

I reckon Evans will fob me off then I’m left £125 out of pocket. Who knows what I’ll do but Evans should be taking the hit not me.

Oh and thanks for the flow chart.

clubber
    Free Member

Keep on at them. I just dug out my emails with Ruland cycles over the issue of my shoes and they told me three times that they/madison were rejecting my warranty request. I kept quoting the SOGA to them and eventually they agreed to a replacement (though claiming as a goodwill gesture and not an admission of any fault…) as it was very clear that they were not able to prove what they had to in order to reject it.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

And FWIW, lots of shoes use ‘cardboard’ inside

Do please tell more. I checked my newest pair: hard plastic/rubbery stuff (neoprene?) and a foam insole.

LoCo
    Free Member

Madison have been very good with a few items I’ve sent back from Team riders, it’s interesting how my experience of various Distributors have been with Warranty stuff and how it differs to stuff on here…

easyrider
    Free Member

Madison have been very good with a few items I’ve sent back from Team riders, it’s interesting how my experience of various Distributors have been with Warranty stuff and how it differs to stuff on here…

That’s because people rarely post good or indifferent experiences on forums, who would read ‘my shoes were crap and I got a replacement ~ shocker’ post?

clubber
    Free Member

In general I’d agree too – I’ve knowledge both direct and indirect of Madison warranty being very good. I was really quite suprised at how they seemed to be trying to fob off my request given that it was very clearly a fault.

easyrider
    Free Member

as for Madison I used to read their catalogue when it was full of Ridgebacks and Romany tourers.. and Revel road frames, not forgetting the ALAN CARBONIO (drool).. OT I know..
    I think it was the ‘Freewheel catalogue’ somehow related to Madison.

Sancho
    Free Member

I’m just wondering why you would buy a crap pair of shoes in the first place?

boblo
    Free Member

Well he is ex Elite you know. Praps carrying that burden has led to this dreadful schoolboy error…. 😉

easyrider
    Free Member

The shoes should be fit for purpose as a given, read the thread before commenting.

boblo
    Free Member

I did. I can’t see where it says why you bought a crap pair of shoes in the first place… You are bikings Immelda Marcos and couldn’t resist. I claim my £5 and retire undefeated 🙂

Sancho
    Free Member

I did, but these are cheap Chinese no brand shoes that you can probably buy at a market, what would make you think they would be any good.

clubber
    Free Member

I think he’s just gently ribbing you – calling yourself elite on STW makes you fair game 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Oooooo Clubber….. ‘Gentle’ and ‘ribbed’ in the same sentence….. Behave now….

clubber
    Free Member

Ooh, you tease 😉

easyrider
    Free Member

ex elite these days 🙂 I was not going to mention it. Anybody is fair game on STW. Hey I ride an On-One and got to the pub as well. I just don’t need body armour for the ride, and have had a good few shoes in my 30 years of MTB, that’s all.

theflatboy
    Free Member

If you keep on at retailers and make it clear you know your rights, eventually they can be persuaded. I have a dishwasher on which some internal control panel failed after 19 months. £110 to repair, and it was £300 new. After some drawn out persuasion I got the retailer to foot the bill. Probably took more time than the £110 merited but it was the principle!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Sancho – Member

I did, but these are cheap Chinese no brand shoes that you can probably buy at a market, what would make you think they would be any good.

Isn’t it your shop that is one of many that rebrands and sells far-eastern no-brand products? Perhaps you have the inside line over the OP as to what is cheap and chinese, and what is also good quality, cheapinexpesive and taiwanese. 😉

Sancho
    Free Member

You’re right we do source a few products direct from China, and only sell stuff that we have tested for about a year to confirm it works and is durable.
    eg Bottom brackets that I give to the team to race on and to commute on day in day out, lights that we tried for a year in all weather to see if there were problems with chargers etc, clothing we had to try a number of samples to get fit 100%, but its worth it.
    I could go through any number of Chinese catalogues and web sites and buy off spec with a logo on it, but would have no idea of how good they were.

CountZero

Sancho – Member
    I’m just wondering why you would buy a crap pair of shoes in the first place?

I think any reasonable person would assume that a pair of shoes costing £125 wouldn’t be crap.
    Just stomping around the shop for five minutes gives no real idea how a pair of shoes are going to feel, let alone stand up to several hours of riding.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Evans seem to have dropped the ball in this rigorous testing/vetting process then. You’d think buying something for over £100 from such a big name shop that they would have been as thorough as you have before they put it up for sale 😕

Point is, why should the OP have any less confidence in something obviously far-eastern buying it from Evans as he would buying it from you?

boblo
    Free Member

He shouldn’t and he has his consumer rights to fall back on if need be. Presumably these were introduced to provide some consistency and stop a few rogues trying to duck their responsibilities to the consumer.

wwaswas

people in the trade asking ‘why would you buy crap in the first place?’ with an implied ‘you berk’ at the end doesn’t really make me want to rush out and buy stuff from them, tbh.

The OP has a right to expect Evans to sell reasonable goods and provide back-up, he shouldn’t have to have a pro team testing everything for a year before he deigns to use it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Really bad experience at Evans Cycles Bristol :(’ is closed to new replies.