Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Really annoying crunchy new chain
  • schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’m using a 1×9 setup and have just changed the chain as the old one had just reached .75 wear, I assumed I’d got to it before any major chainring/cassette wear had taken place.

Now with the new chain fitted on the workstand everything is perfect, when riding it shifting is bob on, it doesn’t slip on the small sprockets, no ghost shifting/indexing just right, but in the four biggest/easiest sprockets there’s a nasty crunching noise under load, it actually seems worst in the fourth gear and to me sounds like it’s coming from the front. The chain doesn’t appear to be touching the chainguide or mech cage…..

So so I keep riding and eventually the chain will wear a bit and mesh? Or do I sling the old chain back on and ride the drivetrain into the ground? Or has anyone got any other ideas?

Cheers

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

Stick the old chain back on, keep the new chain until you’ve got a new ring and cassette.
    I’m running 1×9 aswell and I’m going to run my drivetrain into the ground (3.5 years out of it so far) then replace the lot at the same time. Best way IMO…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Really annoying crunchy new chain’ is closed to new replies.