Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • really?
  • jam-bo

Ride enough bikes and you can often pick up the inherent resonance and rigidity of a frame just by the way it feels with one hand on the bar.

Jamie
    Free Member

really?

I am going to say no.

ojom
    Free Member

dont tell me…. mbr or bikeradar…?

jam-bo

bikeradar. carbon nomad review.

ojom
    Free Member

good god.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well let’s be honest, although bikes are different, they all do pretty much the same thing, so ‘journos’ have to make up crap to justify their jobs, and position in the industry.

But if you think that’s bad, read some of the manufacturer’s guff. Truly cringeworthy.

jam-bo

i’ve read a lot of guff but that really does take the prize..

scaredypants

wish I could ride one-handed 🙁

skidartist
    Free Member

Ride enough bikes and you can often grow an extra chromsome, maybe even two.

crikey
    Free Member

So with one hand on the bar, on a rubber handlebar grip, on an aluminium or carbon handlebar, attached to an aluminium or carbon stem, clamped to an aluminium or carbon or steel steerer, isolated from the frame by a headset bearing, you can pck up the inherent resonance (whatever the **** that is), and the rigidity of the frame?

I feel that the author of this fantasy should be named and shamed, and presented with the award of COCK MONKEY OF THE YEAR, 2010.

crikey
    Free Member

Guy Kesteven, come on down….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

jam-bo

to be fair to the author, I paraphrased a little:

The Nomad Carbon is stiff. Immediately, obviously, dramatically, ‘noticeable as soon as you put your hands on the bar’ stiff. That last comment sounds dumb, but it’s not as daft as it seems. Ride enough bikes and you can often pick up the inherent resonance and rigidity of a frame just by the way it feels with one hand on the bar. And with the Nomad Carbon, it feels like you’ve just shaken hands with a block of granite

although I’m not sure whether reading it in context makes it better or worse…

original article in all its glory here

Jamie
    Free Member

@ Crikey

You are just jealous that the author of the article can feel the power of the frame through several other components.

….and probably gloves.

I know I am.

crikey
    Free Member

RealMan
    Free Member

crikey 😆

inherent resonance (whatever the **** that is)

Resonance is what happens when you force something to vibrate and a frequency which matches the items natural frequency. The amplitudes reach a maximum. I don’t know if this helps.

When he says one hand on the bar, is that one hand on the bar while riding? Or while the bikes leaning against a wall?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Gosh its all getting to sound rather like HiFi “journalism”

crikey
    Free Member

Perhaps I’m being unusually cynical, but I think not. I think it’s the desperate attempt of a bored journo to come up with anything, anything at all to say about yet another bicycle.

Shame that it’s come to this…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

he he, Guy Kesteven’s name came straight to my head when reading that guff

crikey
    Free Member

Guy Kesteven at WMB is the Jeremy Clarkson of the mountain bike world.

Nice quote from the web….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Someone’s done ‘cockmonkey’ in pictorial form. 😆

I think this is a truly wonderful thing.

Elfinsafety Approves. 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Crikey, I’ll see your cock monkey and raise you this

kaesae
    Free Member

For f@cks sake the way the bike shakes tells you about the material it’s made up of and what it’s running. Obviously it will vibrate through the bars and you’ll feel it, if you’re holding them. If your only holding one bar your hand will vibrate twice as much.

That said who gives a ****, £50 and I’ll say Commencals rock!

crikey
    Free Member

Awesome!

epicyclo

Was he holding the wee bar between his legs?

Jamie
    Free Member

Was he holding the wee bar between his legs?

That will be the next test.

After I placed my old chap on the frame I just knew it was going to be a inherently resonating ride. Riding bikes for so long just gives you this innate feel for a materials’ properties when docked to ones member.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Perhaps I’m being unusually cynical, but I think not. I think it’s the desperate attempt of a bored journo to come up with anything, anything at all to say about yet another bicycle.

… or LSD.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Was it WMB that did the steel hardtail reviews this month? If I recall correctly their negative point for the BFe was that it might be overbuilt for anyone who didn’t need a burly frame or long-travel forks…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Anyone done an MTB journo version of bullshit bingo?

thepurist

Sounds like they need to hire Troy Queef for some bike reviews… “The carbon nomad is a bitch, and i spanked it”

geetee1972
    Free Member

Does anyone have anything positive to say about MTB journos?

sharki
    Free Member

Replace the word bike for the word women.

Now there’s a monday discussion.

duntstick
    Free Member

There is a sure-fire, scientific way to quantify a frames resonance………..

Clamp your teeth to the toptube and get your assistant to ****t it with a sledgehammer 😯

kaesae
    Free Member

Come on! where’s your mushroom season spirit?

Get the funny hats out and the glow sticks!

PARTY TIME!!!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘really?’ is closed to new replies.