Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Realistic differences between SLX and XT brakes?
  • ononeorange

I am pretty new to Shimano brakes, but is the real difference just weight?

Thanks

Kryton57

There’s sodding great split pin through my SLX caliper on bike a and a neat pin/retaining clip on my XT on bike b.

nedrapier

Marginal – only 1 point in scrabble.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    markshires
    Free Member

you can get the pad retaining pins for a couple of quid from wiggle and they fit SLX brakes, if the split pin bothers you?

Kryton57

you can get the pad retaining pins for a couple of quid from wiggle and they fit SLX brakes, if the split pin bothers you?

Thanks. I will do as they are a lot easier to deal with should you need to in the middle of a long ride.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Colour, price and bragging rights performance is the same

ononeorange

OK thanks. As I thought. SLX it is then!

whitestone
    Free Member

The XT brakes have a “bite adjustment” screw on the lever whereas the SLX don’t.

Oh, and the deal breaking pad retainer pins. Mustn’t forget those 🙄

MSP

Some Shimano brakes may have a bite adjustment screw, but they have no bite adjustment, it is just a screw which appears to do nothing, apart from maybe ring a bell in shimano HQ so all the designers can roll around in laughter as they imagine the look of dumbfounded confusion on the users face.

richmtb

Ive been upgrading my neglected bike and I’ve been choosing between SLX and XT for a bunch of components. Throughout the ranges the difference between SLX and XT are pretty small. Brakes especially I couldn’t justify the difference in price between SLX and XT. Shifters are about the only component where there is something in it

sillyoldman

Bleed the brakes with the free stroke adjuster out and you’ll achieve a better bleed, and will have free stroke adjustment.

Other than that and the split pin difference, XTs have nicer feeling solid forged lever blades, whereas the SLX have formed sheet alloy levers.

Mister-P
    Free Member

By screwing the bite adjuster screw out you are increasing the volume of the master cylinder. So as sillyoldman says you screw it out to bleed the brake and effectively over fill the system. Then when cap is back on and you screw the adjuster back in you’ll find it does do something.

honourablegeorge

whitestone – Member
    The XT brakes have a “bite adjustment” screw on the lever whereas the SLX don’t.

You can drill the SLX and fit the screw, they;re the same underneath

ononeorange

Ask STW and you’ll find everything. Thanks again, I’m still set on SLX.

MSP

Even when bled with the bite adjuster screwed out to the max, if makes **** all difference.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m still set on SLX

ooh get you; too good for deore (which are also pretty much the same 🙂 )

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Realistic differences between SLX and XT brakes?’ is closed to new replies.