Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • real world thoughts on using an iphone 'plus'?
  • big_scot_nanny

Hi all, would appreciate any insights on using an iphone plus.

my iphone 5s has died, main use was as camera, social media/email, surfing etc.

Really tempeted by better cameras on iphone plus (7 or 8), plus easier keyboard, and larger screen would be a boon for my apparently deteriorating reading vision. Might even be practical for kindle and reading? can get realtively ‘cheap’ upgrade as my contract can be renewed.

Would love to hear anyones thoughts on miving to a plus sized phone, even better if specific feedback on iphone 7.

ta!

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Will it fit in your handbag?

bencooper
    Free Member

Not so easy to use one-handed.

Stop sniggering.

Coyote
    Free Member

I went for the iPhone SE precisely because the phones were getting too big. Good decision on my part, your experience may differ.

Drac

I’ve a 7+ for work and it’s very good for a work phone as easy to read emails and type long replies, unless you have Trump hands then they’re easy to use one handed or at least I have no issues.

CountZero

Been using a 6+ for three years, I’d hate to go back to a smaller phone, although if you have small pockets it can be a bit awkward to carry, but it’s ideal for ebook reading, general browsing, (although I do prefer my 10.5” iPad for most web stuff), and for navigating with various satnav apps it’s the perfect size.
    I have a glass screen-protector and a cheap gel-type case on it, after using an Otterbox, which was actually rubbish, not waterproof and too much extra bulk.
    Just don’t carry it in a back pocket, that’s just asking for trouble.

GrahamS

I went for the iPhone SE precisely because the phones were getting too big. Good decision on my part, your experience may differ.

+1 for me. Fast as a 6S, but smaller and better battery life.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I was looking at iPhones earlier as my 5 is a bit rubbish now. The SE would be the best option for me as I always liked the design of the 4 and don’t need a plus sized phone. But is the SE likely to be supported for the next couple of years?

simon_g

Went for iPhone SE too after a couple of years with a 6. Love having a fast phone with a great camera in that smaller size.

Wife went from 6+ to regular 7 and massively prefers it, although in part wishes she’d got an SE too.

It really depends on your usage though. The Plus size is great for sticking to your dashboard to use as a satnav, and for sat-down, two-handed use (like web browsing on the sofa) or watching video. On a packed commuter train, or carrying shopping/baby/coffee in one hand, it’s so nice to have a phone where you don’t have to stretch or shuffle your fingers around to use it.

simon_g

I was looking at iPhones earlier as my 5 is a bit rubbish now. The SE would be the best option for me as I always liked the design of the 4 and don’t need a plus sized phone. But is the SE likely to be supported for the next couple of years?

As said, it’s effectively 6S hardware in a smaller body. The iPhone 5 was the last to go “unsupported” with iOS11 (and that was more about lack of 64-bit support), so it’s three years / generations on from that.

Better than the typical Android phone at any rate 😉

Sandwich

If your vision is starting to go for reading then plus size allows for slightly more text on screen. It’s still a pain though reading a book in 2 sentence portions. The extra space when using the magnifier function is helpful though. The SE will allow for single sentences for reading with large text.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I have a 7+ for work – definitely better for reading documents/complex emails. I do tend to use it for web browsing at home too in preference to my much smaller personal phone, but would only ever carry my personal phone on a run etc because it’s smaller.

big_scot_nanny

Great stuff, many thanks folks.

I should say that the 5S used to be mine, then my missus old 5C went to daughter 2, 5S then went to wife and I’ve been using an SE for the last year. You know how trickle down works! I agree its a little ripper, great camera and super fast. It is this good camera that has meant I am increasingly satisfied with it to take really nice piccies when out and about, increasingly don’t miss the big camera. It is also noticeably better than the camera on my work iPhone 6 (which also feels ludicrously slow in comparison)

5S is dead, wife wants the SE, so I get to choose something else.

But, it is awfully wee. Too wee. I don’t want to admit it but its too wee for my fingers to type, and as mentioned vision is not what it once was. I also quite like the idea of being able to use Gaia GPS on a bigger screen. (I have found this to be by far the best GPS/mapping app)

Right, tomorrow to the phone shop, might even plump for an 8 plus, camera seems even better.

Cheers all!

Kryton57

although if you have small pockets it can be a bit awkward to carry,

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I’ve just gone to a 7+ from a standard 7.
    You soon get used to the sheer size of it and don’t even realise until it’s next to a smaller one
    I do use the double click on the home button an awful lot now though to bring the top of the screen down

stumpy01

Not Apple, but I’ve got a 5.5″ Android phone.

My main concern was the size of the thing, but it’s rarely & issue.
    It’s great for sat nav, which I use everyday on my commute to keep an eye on congestion and for general web browsing etc.

Whenever I hold a phone such as an iphone SE, it feels like a little toy. Not that I am trying to rubbish the phone; I am sure it’s a great phone. But, once you get used to the size of a large phone, smaller ones feel teeny.

I have quite small hands, but find it fine. If I’m using it one handed, there’s a swipe pattern on the screen that scales the screen size down & drags it to the bottom corner, so you can easily use it one handed.
    I’m sure the larger Apple phones will do something similar.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Mrs_d has just got an iPhone 8plus after two years of envying my iPhone 6S (now upgraded to iPhone 8).
    She loves it so far. Her previous phone was a Galaxy S6 which she hated, apart from the camera

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘real world thoughts on using an iphone 'plus'?’ is closed to new replies.