Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Real, up-to-date, news that I'm bursting to share
  • SaxonRider

I have just returned from Belgium, where we have purchased a static caravan in a beautiful park on the outskirts of one of the loveliest villages in Wallonia.

We had a fantastic four days at a time when the ferries – and the whole Continent as far as I could tell – were largely devoid of tourists. Belgium was having a proper (by which I mean Canadian-like) winter, with snow and ice on the ground, and lots of sun in the sky.

We now look forward to many happy years of baguettes, good chocolate, good coffee, Christmas markets in nearby Aachen, and all the other good things that will come from having a humble pied-à-terre to enjoy in a wonderful place.

And cycling, of course. Lots of cycling of every kind. 😀 8) and all that.

Drac

How old is this post?

perchypanther
    Free Member

SaxonRiders new caravan in Gaul yesterday…..

…seriously, though.
    Good work.
    Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

SaxonRider

Jeez. I guess I should stick to vintage. 😐

bearnecessities

Oh come on, embrace your fame! I’m the STW tit that lives in a doer-upper shit-hole; it’s just one of those things. 🙂

Pics would help; we don’t do well with just words around here.

ElShalimo

SaxonRider – nice one. Now we need photos!!

Ignore the muppets, its just jealousy, a very STW trait.

leffeboy

in a beautiful park on the outskirts of one of the loveliest villages in Wallonia.

where, where?
    and

Rubber_Buccaneer

Nice…..and we are all invited to stay when?

bearnecessities

Ignore the muppets, its just jealousy, a very STW trait.

I’m jealous of your gaff 🙂

SaxonRider

Here you go, then.

A few of the town (not taken by me, obviously):

A picture of the park:

And finally, as much as I like perchypanther’s suggestion above, the actual caravan:

slowoldman

Do they still shit in the lay-bys?

Only jealous.

Cougar

Out of interest, what do you do with it the other 50 weeks of the year? Are you going to be renting it out?

Never really understood the point of holiday homes TBH, kinda defeats the point of holidays for me as if I’m going away I’d generally want to go somewhere I haven’t been before. If you want to keep going to the same place isn’t the sensible thing to do just move?

bearnecessities

Out of interest, what do you do with it the other 50 weeks of the year?

Sees dead people.

ElShalimo

bear – you’re a sweety. The constant wind and rain up here make the winter less than desirable. Woe is me (and the veg patch)

OP – nice, when’s the STW open weekend
    😉

SaxonRider

Cougar – Moderator
    Out of interest, what do you do with it the other 50 weeks of the year?

Working according to academic terms allows a bit more freedom than that. And should I get bored of the drive (If I leave at breakfast, I am there by about 8:30 p.m.), I can take the train from Cardiff to Brussels, then a smaller train to the town in about the same time.

All in all, we should get there about once every six to eight weeks or so.

Never really understood the point of holiday homes TBH, kinda defeats the point of holidays for me as if I’m going away I’d generally want to go somewhere I haven’t been before. If you want to keep going to the same place isn’t the sensible thing to do just move?

We have spent the last ten years going somewhere different every year. We love travelling, but this place will allows an easy drive to Paris, Amsterdam, Cologne, Frankfurt, and many other places on any given trip.

I don’t anticipate feeling too limited.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bravo SR! Ignore the STW dour bastards!

Gary_M
    Free Member

You can have a holiday home and not go there for every single holiday for ever you know. It’s just somewhere different to go.

Cougar

All in all, we should get there about once every six to eight weeks or so.

That’s cool, nice one. The other point still stands though, are you thinking of renting it out at all? Might help with the payments. (And I for one would be interested if I had the funds.)

I don’t anticipate feeling too limited.

Makes sense. I wasn’t intentionally being a “dour bastard,” rather I’ve never really understood it.

You can have a holiday home and not go there for every single holiday for ever you know.

I guess. But then, buying a holiday home and then going on holiday somewhere else seems a little bonkers to me.

edhornby

brilliant – you’d be able to go in May when LBL and the Fleche Wallonie is on, I’d imagine there will be some decent cyclocross racing somewhere nearby as well, this is entertaining (especially because it’s traditional to ride there with a load of beer 🙂 )

SaxonRider

Makes sense. I wasn’t intentionally being a “dour bastard,” rather I’ve never really understood it.

No ‘dour bastard’ in asking.

You probably know this, but in Canada, many many people have cabins ‘at the lake’ – meaning that, in addition to their normal house, they also have a literal wooden cabin (sometimes entirely built from log) on the shore of one of the many lakes that will be within driving distance of a city.**

I spite of this, I can’t think of many who would have limited their travel; indeed, while ‘going to the lake’ (variously called ‘going to the cabin’ or ‘going to the cottage’) is just part of middle- and upper class Canadian life, I can’t think of anyone who didn’t also go to Mexico or the Caribbean in the winter, get a ski trip in, or even get over here to Britain in the summer for some sort of holiday.

In any case, as I indicated above, as I see our new place, it will be as much launch point to other places as it will be a centre for the family to enjoy and to become immersed in the local culture and language.

**Like this place, where I spent countless weekends throughout the year:

West Hawk Lake, Manitoba, in Whiteshell Provincial Park.

SaxonRider

you’d be able to go in May when LBL and the Fleche Wallonie is on

Oh, it’s been considered! 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So now your’e a **** poikey?

globalti
    Free Member

Near Aachen eh? I once spent an entire glorious week there with Birgit, driving the pink skin bus into Toytown….

perchypanther
    Free Member

Looks terrific SR. We’ve had a Willerby Granada for ten years and it’s been a great van.
    The travelling sounds a bit much though.

Although , for a man with your time travelling skills it’ll fly by. 😉

drslow
    Free Member

Well done Sir, the wife and I are planning on something a bit closer to home though. So far our kids (teen age) are supportive of a holiday home (worryingly). We’ve had our fill of travelling !!

leffeboy

Awesome. There are some great trails nearby at Houffalize of course but you have to go down to the castle at Bouillon as it’s the closest to the sorts of castle that I imagined as as child that I’ve ever seen.

edit: just leave the key under the mat if you don’t mind 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Real, up-to-date, news that I'm bursting to share’ is closed to new replies.