Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Reading to Oxford by train with a bike ?
  • bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

anyone know if there are trains to Oxford from Reading and back, where I can garantee I’ll get my bike on ? I think the fast trains are reservation only but are the slower trains the ones with loads of room for bikes

cokie

You nailed it- the fast train are reservation only, and the slow local service train has no dedicated spaces, but you can sit with the bike by the doors.

Neither service is guaranteed though, and the conductor can ask you to get off or wait for the next one if it’s too busy on the slow train.

Time to get a Brompton?

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Thanks.
    it’s just for a few days. Cars broken down and work Christmas lunch on Friday means I’m biking for the rest of the week.

TheGingerOne

Outside the rush hour it is unlikely to be a problem on the slow train

cokie

TheGO- True, but it is Christmas time and schools break for Christmas shortly.
    Personally I’ve never been asked to get off that train. I’ve taken the Oxford to Reading train, and vice versa, many times at all sorts of times.

lunge

Just book it in on the Cross Country train, if you pop into your local station they can sort it out, it’s free and zero hassle.

johnny

I take the slow train from Pangbourne to Oxford and back all the time during term time, and I’ve never been asked to get off- at busy times the doorways can be packed 3 bikes deep!

It’s easily doable, but if I were doing it for just a few days I’d book it onto the cross-country services. They are much faster, but you won’t be let on them with a bike, unless it’s booked, even if the train is empty.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Reading to Oxford by train with a bike ?’ is closed to new replies.