Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Reading to Newbury down the Canal ?
  • weeksy

I noticed on my commute last week the sign for “newbury 11miles” when I was crossing the canal just past Theale.

Whenever I’ve tried to go down from the reading side, you get a bit near Burghfield you can’t keep on the river (by the pub) and have to hit the roads…

So I was wondering if from Theale (just past actually) you can ride from there straight down the canal to Newbury ?

Was thinking of doing it with boy/wife at the weekend, stop in Newbury for some lunch and then cycle back

johnny

You can ride on the towpath to Thatcham easily, after which the Sustrans route diverts onto minor roads for a bit, then back onto the towpath to the centre, but i bet you could steadily ride the towpath/footpath section in between with no problem.

Done it both in summer and winter; it’s better when dry as there are some unpaved sections across fields, which when dry have little ‘singletrack’ trails across them- ideal for child cyclists! There are a few gates which take some maneuvering with a trailer/tagalong, if you’re towing kids. There’s a carpark at Theale lock to start from.

Stop at Aldermaston Wharf cafe for coffee and cake on the way. (take cash) Job’s a good ‘un.

You’ve given me an idea to do with the kids at the weekend now!

faustus

The section at Burghfield only detours on minor road then some gravel pits before rejoining before the M4. You can then go all the way into Newbury pretty much by the canal the whole time. The Thatcham detour is for the official sustrans route, but never used it myself and fine to cycle all the way on the towpath. Be aware that the towpath is very mixed in terms of surface and width, so is not always an easy ride, and it’s 16 miles from Reading centre. If you wanted to join it at Theale, then join the canal at Theale Mill swing bridge.

Bring a bell!

weeksy

My lad has the bell on his… i’ll leave the shouting at people down to him (he’s 7).

I’ll see you our there on Sunday… i’ll be on the spearfish, blue Specialized Myka for the wife and a lime green Isla for the boy 🙂

Thanks guys.

iolo
    Free Member

The Rowbarge is always a nice stop on that path.

weeksy

iolo – Member

The Rowbarge is always a nice stop on that path.

the what ? where ? 🙂

faustus

Looks like it’ll be a really nice weekend for it, enjoy!

Also, the Rowbarge at Woolhampton will be difficult to ride past if it’s warm and you need a beer, lots of outside seating and grass…makes me pleasantly sleepy to think about 🙂

Edit – beaten to it!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve done it Reading to Thatcham I think, as sustrans routes go it’s not overly cycle friendly, lots of gates and “this field has been left to provide a natural habitat……” which should read “we’ve run out of money, here’s a muddy rut in the grass, if you catch a wheel on the edge the grass is hiding an improbable amount of dog crap that the owners have just kicked off the path”.

Apart from that it’s a nice ride.

johnny

I can’t see there being much mud around this weekend… There might be be a bit of dogcrap to dodge on the urban fringes though.

Forgot about the Rowbarge, +1 for that particular eatery on a sunny day!

RobHilton
    Free Member

-1 for the Rowbarge on a sunny day – it’ll be rammed!

here’s a muddy rut in the grass

in the dry that rut is the highlight of the ride for me :mrgreen:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was on 25c slicks on the road bike, it had rained recently, a happy bunny I was not.

dknwhy

I cycled yesterday from Reading to Hungerford along the canal. Beautiful day in the sunshine.
    I ignored the Sustrans signs and just stayed on the canal. Nice gentle ride. Bit rutted in places. 29er hardtail seemed perfect for the job. Could do it on a cross bike but some bits would be uncomfortable.

weeksy

Cool. Thanks lads.

Assuming we both survive Rockingham on our motorbikes on Sat, we should be over and cycling on Sunday.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Reading to Newbury down the Canal ?’ is closed to new replies.