Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Reading – Nightlife?
  • lewismorgan
    Free Member

I’ve recently moved to Reading with work (Well Wokingham to be exact…but that’s even worse)!

I’ve explored cycling wise around Swinley Forest and Crowthorne but have been somewhat disappointed by the evenings?

Is anyone local to Reading on here? Do you have any recommendations where young people tend to drink? Doesn’t have to be student pubs but ideally venues where there are people around my age (23)! Even somewhere to go and watch the football? The last pub I went to was empty when the football was on!

Maybe i’m not going to the right places, or maybe Reading really is just a tame town? Can anyone advise – Any tips or pointers much appreciated!

lesgrandepotato

I always like the oakford social by the station.

Caher

Purple Turtle. It will cater for all your needs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tmass91
    Free Member

+1 for Purple Turtle. Been done up since I was there but still holds its reputation.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Purple Turtle

It’s international reputation is well deserved…

The Oakford, as mentioned is pretty decent, but I’m a miserable old man who would rather be found muttering into a pint of stout in The Nags or Greyfriar.

Friar Street in general is populated by the young & stupid, but is largely meat-market territory.

WildHunter2009

Lived in reading before I moved to Australia at 25ish so some idea though probably a bit out of date. Oakford Social Club was our go to later venue, the Turtle is legendary as well. Also used to like Pavlov’s Dog.
    Quieter evenings the Allied Arms had a good mix, also what used to be the Hobgoblin pub opposite the oracle entrance is good.
    Friar at was to be avoided to be honest! The spoons are both a bit average but the Monks Retreat is probably the better option for a bargain beer.

On a separate note get yourself our riding north of town towards Nettlebed and the proper Chilterns!

oldtalent
    Free Member

oldtalent
    Free Member

If you can list the quiet pubs names then I will add them onto my list as ones to visit.
    Preferably no football either.
    Ta.

scuttler
    onewheelgood

oldtalent you might like the Castle Tap or The Hop Leaf. Particularly if you like beer.

weeksy

Walkabout used to always be packed for the football.

footflaps

Aren’t there over 7000 undergrads there?

When I was at Reading Uni all the pubs near the campus and around London road etc were packed with students. Maybe they don’t drink anymore….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not just you, Reading is just shit (I moved from Whitley, to Lower Earley, to Wokingham to Three Mile Cross).

Oakford is OK as a meeting point, but like all good pubs in Reading is only OK. The Ale House is much nicer to drink in though as you can actually have a conversation (and decent beer). The Hop Leaf has nice beer too.

The rest of Reading town center is just shit, or really shit unless you happen to find a good local.

That is unless you like paying £35 for two Gin and tonics in Sakura, of catching clamydia on the dancefloor of Q-bar, in which case Reading is the cultural center of the t*** universe.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Sounds like Oakford Social and Purple Turtle….or maybe i’ll stick to the train into paddington..! Cheers guys!

@thisisnotaspoon – I’m very glad it’s not just me, I went to Q club once… I can confirm there will never be a second time.

buffalobill
    Free Member

I suggest a run the gauntlet style approach starting off at Gospoda (formerly the Battle Inn) and then just make your way further down the Oxford Road, seeing how long you last…

tmb467
    Free Member

ignoring the pub aspect…I’ve recently moved to Henley and am discovering the joys of Nettlebed n Chilterns, so if you’re riding round there then drop me a mail

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I never really ‘got’ The Purple Turtle.

Maybe because I don’t do massive amounts of drugs and cause 50.6%* of Reading’s nighttime crime.

*this doesn’t surprise me.

When I was last in there it was all a bit………….(substitue happy hardcore for drum’n’bass)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzP1XC51kro[/video]

RobHilton
    Free Member

See also around Bucklebury for mint XC.

Caher

Not understanding the Reading hate here as I have many good friends still there, there are good places to go (if you look) and it’s centrally located for some fine southern track and you can catch a bus to the airport.
    There are far worse places.
    Love going back for a catch-up.

theotherjonv

When I was last in there it was all a bit……..

Morph hasn’t aged very well….

ahsat

I grew up in Reading. School mates were banded from going there for a night out, we all went to Oxford! However with my more hard core proper reading friends we typically went to the Turtle. There was also a brew place on the edge of the Oracle, can’t remember what it was called. But I quite liked it because it was quiet. Have to say, lived in the North for 14 years now, no plans to go back south. Head out towards Nettlebed etc for proper pubs.

allthepies
    Free Member

For beer – The Nags Head, a bit out of the centre but not much.

CountZero

Years back my then g/f was deciding where to go to train as a nurse, and we went to look around Reading.
    She chose Basingstoke instead… 😉
    I have visited since, and it seems to have improved, but it’s not a place I’d want to spend time in.

Coyote
    Free Member

Disappointed. Was expecting another book thread.

retrobri
    Free Member

Reading…..normally Sub89, After Dark, Turtle, Allied Arms, The Horn, Nags… Fox n Hounds in Caversham is good too, occasional trips to The Turks Head or Butler….loads of good choices. Sweeney Todd for pies too!

Riding…prefer north of Reading.. it has hills, mud and more pubs!

footflaps

Riding…prefer north of Reading.. it has hills, mud and more pubs!

yep rode a lot round there when I was at Uni.

oikeith

Was expecting this to be a link to meatspin, alas no, its an actual site! Cant remember the last time I got directed to meatspin…

WildHunter2009

Definitely don’t get the reading hate, it’s certainly not perfect but it’s a pretty decent spot. Also whoever said Sweeney Todd, great spot.
    I had forgotten about the Hop Leaf actually. Bit odd I always thought but the beers good. Summer lightning is a lovely pint.

Russell96

I remember the Purple Turtle back in the 90’s before they knocked it down to make way for the Oracle, had some pretty mad nights there.

Have a look at this video of the Purple Turtle nowadays on the Metro, its work safe.

Man gets hit by bus, gets up and walks casually into pub

RobHilton
    Free Member

CZ quoth:
    She chose Basingstoke instead…

Someone chose the grad over the ding?????!!!11??

Talk about a shithole! I mean, it’s not Slough, but **** hell, bad life choices stay with you for life…

rob2
    Free Member

Turtle.

I always used to like O’Neills too and whatever that dodgy 80s nightclub was upstairs. Not the cultural centre of the universe but a good laugh.

I can’t remember the name of the Wetherspoons opposite o’niells but once in there a chap next to me drinking, turned to one side, threw up on the floor and then just carried on drinking. Insane.

Caher

Monks Retreat – that place gave Weatherspoons pubs a bad name.

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Grew up in Early. Out in the sticks but local to Reading still.
    Lived my teenage years in the old Turtle, worked there.
    Coopers, Boars Head, Gatsbys Indie night (underground opposite the station, Wednesdays) later on Check Point Charlie at Alley Cats or Cumbers. Then there was The Whistle Stop, above a shop near the Turks Head, unlicensed but fun. I don’t venture into town much anymore but it’s certainly not the place it used to be for a good night out, it’s better than most towns around here though.

zbonty

Bobbybobbyb you’re taking me back with some of those haunts. How about ‘Cartoons’ ?Checkpoint Charlie was awesome. I worked at Alleycats when it was there but it was a regular party for 16 years.
    Milk Bar is a great independent hidden gem tucked away but very near the station. Great drinks but not a beer place-nice atmosphere and tunes. Close to friar st but no twattery.
    Nags is my local now 🙂
    As abov/before I don’t entirely get the hate. I think it’s a British thing to point at any location and say it’s shit. Often without great justification or the ability to highlight significantly better alternatives. Pleasant enough riding can be found too

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Reading – Nightlife?’ is closed to new replies.