Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • re Winterising Wil: A Guide To Dressing For Winter Riding
  • epicyclo

A timely article on winter gear.

It got me to wondering what most of us wear for a day out in the winter when we can be facing anything from sleet to snow to dry subzero.

I dress like someone going into the mountains rather than wear bike gear – I couldn’t envisage wearing bibs for example – so I’m usually in Rab VR top and trousers, or Buffalo shirt, and a packaway waterproof in a pocket for sleet. If it’s really cold there will be a string vest too.

Footwear tends to be sandals and SealSkinz which I have found to be the warmest combo for when your feet are getting regular immersions, eg crossing burns, otherwise it’s woollie socks and walking boots.

Similarly gloves are thick wool with a spare pair stuffed against my belly to keep them warm.

For just a few hours in subzero I’ll often just wear a base layer, thick woolie jumper and a gillet, again with a waterproof in a pocket. Always the Rab VR trousers though. I’ve done a few of the worst ‘Puffers like this – if the weather changes it’s easy enough to get a change of gear at the end of a lap.

Edit: forgot the Buffs. One for the neck, one for the head.

ontor
    Free Member

bibs. buffalo cycle shirt/teclite/mountain shirt, shorts, gloves, overshoes

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Bibs, merino zip through and convertible soft shell with a packable waterproof in the bag.

Seal skins and shoes to suit pedals on the feet.

Either normal long finger riding gloves – maybe with silk liners under. Lobster mitts if really cold.

I’m struggling for legs though this year, I’ve had a pair of fox riding trousers made from some ripstop type material (got them free with an order from stif about 10 years ago i reckon) and the back side is now thread bare but i can’t find direct replacements. I’ve some sombrio waterproof trousers too but they’re only any good for seriously cold days.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Northwave Artic boots.

Roubaix longs (padded)

Altura attack waterproof shorts

Top half, plenty of options from Endura FS260 Jetstream jersey which is fine until it gets cold rather than chilly. Then varying combinations of polypro or merino base layers, jerseys, gilets, waterproof, etc. Buff on my head/neck.

A buff under my helmet (it’s got a fleece end around my neck, folded like a balaclava over the back of my head ears) makes an enormous difference to how much heat is lost, makes sub zero mornings rideable.

I usually dress on the assumption I’ll keep moving and warm (i.e. normal cycling gear) and take a dry bag stuffed with warm clothes in case things go bad (extra ronhills, down jacket, gloves, socks, hat, foil blanket, survival bag).

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Here in Melbourne. Same shorts all year round. Singletrack2.
    Short sleeved top for 3 seasons and long sleeved one in winter. Possible addition of a waterproof.

colournoise

Cold weather riding conflicts me. I don’t mind the cold, but suffer from Raynaud’s so need to look after fingers and toes.

Unless it’s very cold I’ll stay in shorts all year (if it is cold I’ll stick some tights under them – Aldi builder’s tights I like). Will add a base layer under my jersey and carry a lightweight wind/waterproof for a third layer if needed. Very occasionally (maybe 2 or 3 rides each year) I’ll wear a thicker jacket or old Berghaus fleece gilet. Do generally ride with a Buff round my neck in winter too as a draught excluder.

Hands and feet. After trying many combinations of gloves and socks over the years what works best for me is silk glove and sock liners with Sealskinz (or Aldi alternatives) on the feet and thin (no padding) summer gloves on the hands (one size up so they are bit loose for an air gap). Works much better IME than thick ‘winter’ gloves or socks.

epicyclo

One thing I forgot.

Full mudguards.

They make a huge difference to the ability to stay warm when you’re out for several hours. Removing the spray of slush really does help your ability to retain heat.

BTW what do bib wearers do when they need a pee? In really cold weather I find it takes a bit of rummaging to find the apparatus because it has shrunk so much. Or are you all really well endowed? 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

BTW what do bib wearers do when they need a pee? In really cold weather I find it takes a bit of rummaging to find the apparatus because it has shrunk so much. Or are you all really well endowed?

Just pull the straps forwards until little-spoon can reach over the top.

riklegge

BTW what do bib wearers do when they need a pee? In really cold weather I find it takes a bit of rummaging to find the apparatus because it has shrunk so much. Or are you all really well endowed?

I always make sure the bibs have ankle zips.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘re Winterising Wil: A Guide To Dressing For Winter Riding’ is closed to new replies.