Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Re-Waterproofing Altura Attack shorts/trousers
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

can anyone recommend a product to re waterproof the altura attack trouser/short range please??? after luckily escaping totally knackering a pair in the wash, the worst damage i have done is lost the waterproof feature (done it before and its shrivelled them up, so semi lucky here)….

and any tips on how to get them full waterproof again please?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Graingers,

I used superproof aerosol. It isn't heat activated so no chance of over heating the shorts and melting the seams, I've used it on a few jackets and shorts and its great.

mieszko
    Free Member

I bought some Nikwax 2 in 1 wash and reproof stuff but I think I did something wrong because it wasn't waterproof after tumbledrying.

I can recommend Regatta Isotex spray on reproofer. Doesn't need to be tumble dryed to be activated and worked great on my jacket. Just spray on (in a well ventilated place as it stinks) and let it dry. Than it's reproofed. A big can is enough for about 2-3 jackets/pair of trousers and costs about £8.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

same here too, used nikwax before and it did nothing to be honest, ok it washed it clean and reproofed it slightly, but not how its meant to work 🙁 i too thought i had done something wrong 🙁

where do you get that spray on one? sounds a good idea, especially if like you the nikwax one didnt work 🙂

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

I did my Endura Stealth, Endura eVent trousers and Gore Cosmo a while ago – and they're all just like new!

1 – Make sure your washing machine has NO detergent/conditioner residue by running an empty wash, on the highest temperature.

2 – Throw clothing in the wash with Granger's 30°C cleaner.

3 – Repeat step 2 with Granger's 30°C proofer.

Leave to drip-dry.

Don't tumble-dry the Stealth. The 30°C proofer doesn't need high temperatures to activate it, and the Stealth is not made to be tumble-dried.

Enjoy : )

Northwind

Nikwax has always worked well for me but it's a reproofer, it won't fix a completely knackered bit of gear. Some other stuff can waterproof pretty much anything but at the cost of breathability.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers guys, so assuming the worst and the core waterproofness has gone – can i just use a spray on reproofer to make the surface waterproof again?? i know if its lost its base coating then its never going to be like new, but if i can at least get them semi-waterproof then all is not lost 🙁

if so which spray on one is a good one for the trousers?

mieszko
    Free Member

I got THIS but from a different website which seems to stop selling it.

Otdoorsmagic had an article about it HERE.

It worked the treat on my jacket and it started to be waterproof again, couldn't notice any difference in breathability and the DWR lasts pretty well. The water still rolls off whereas my Columbia gore tex jackets DWR stopped working after one heavy rain (still is waterproof though).

At £7.50 it's worth a try as the can will easily be enough for 2-3 pairs of trousers or jackets. The only funny thing is it kind of smells similar to my disc brake cleaner when spraying 🙂

josh1982
    Free Member

You could use grangers xt proofer which is air cure spray on. But I would go with the 30 deg clean and proof option. Can you not tumble dry? If so will work even better. Even if only a cool tumble dry.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well the altura attack shorts/trousers say do not tumble dry at all….so i guess its an air drying type scenario….

ordered some graingers cleaner and the nx spray too, will give it a good shot anyways 🙂

cheers all for the advice

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Re-Waterproofing Altura Attack shorts/trousers’ is closed to new replies.