Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Re-proofing eVent fabric
  • Alex

Right I've read many threads about this, and I'm still confused. It's a Endura eVent jacket. Not beading at all whenever it rains (so most days then at the moment). I've tried washing it without detergent, ironing it, throwing an eye of newt in the machine, etc without much success.

What's the right way/product to sort this. Ta.

eddie11
    Free Member

Wash with Nixwax techwash(i think graingers does the same job but not sure)

then water proof with a wash in waterproofer again by nikwax. Most outdoor shops will have a little branded nikwax display somewhere in store. Be warned its not cheap but will make your jacket work.

I can't imagine ironing it has done it much good though…

AlasdairMc

Ironing eVent is recommended, as it rejuvenates the DWR at warm temperatures.

llama

grangers works

iron or tumble dry after or its no good

Nobby

I was told by an experienced climber never to use a wash-in proofer on eVent or paclite as it 'proofs' the inside of the garment too. This will prevent it from breathing and essentially turn it into a kagoule.

Nikwax & Graingers both do spray on ones.

thepurist

http://www.eventfabrics.com/care_and_maintenance.php

To summarise:

Wash regularly at 40 degrees with a liquid detergent – but ensure all detergent is rinsed out.

Don't iron

Use proofer, no comments to avoid wash in.

13thfloormonk

Interesting Nobby, I thought it would do the same, and questioned some Grangers reps who visited out store. Wish I could remember what they said… 😳

Ironing doesn't seem to damage the jacket, but doesn't seem to do much for the DWR. Tumble drying, on the other hand, works wonders for the DWR, and doesn't seem to damage them, half hour on medium heat seems OK.

nickc

Tumble dry mine, seems to do the job

Alex

Ta all. I'm going with the simple option then. I just need to find our tumble dryer that's buried behind some house renovations. Looks like I'll need to find it before tonight's ride 🙁

Nobby

To summarise:

Wash regularly at 40 degrees with a liquid detergent – but ensure all detergent is rinsed out.

Don't iron

Use proofer, no comments to avoid wash in.

Maybe not, but it shows both Graingers and Nikwax spray-ons and does state:

"Your eVent garment contains a durable water repellant finish (DWR) on the exterior of the fabric that serves as a first barrier to penetration of the fabric by external water. "

Surely if you apply a DWR to the inside of the garment you are waterproofing it must stop sweat passing through?

13thfloormonk

Well, the sweat has to pass through a DWR at some point doesn't it? So maybe having two layers of the DWR doesn't really make a difference?

That said, after the first time I reproofed my jacket, it felt sweatier, which maybe proves the point. Will definitely try the spray on stuff next time.

SiB
    Free Member

JUst a quick hijack – grainger says to tumble dry but garment states do not tumble dry……….would ironing be similar to tumble drying it? safe to do so?

Nobby

Our tumble dryer has a 'cool' setting which I use without any problems.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Re-proofing eVent fabric’ is closed to new replies.