Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Re-proofing a Gore Phantom jacket
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I think it's time my Gore Phantom was re-proofed. Has anybody done this and if so what have you found works best?

jojoA1
    Free Member

Tec wash stuff. Nikwax and Grangers do something you can wash in to restore the DWR (?) showerproof finish.

cynic-al
    Free Member

DW-resistant? 😮

johnners
    Free Member

Tec wash stuff. Nikwax and Grangers do something you can wash in to restore the DWR (?) showerproof finish

Won't the wash-in stuff add repellency to the inside of the garment too? Not what you want if it's to wick moisture away from the skin. I'd go for a spray-on version if you think it needs it.

mooman
    Free Member

Thomson water seal is fantastic stuff for waterproofing bike clothes. It smells a little for a day or two .. but fantastic stuff, lasts alot longer than any other stuff I`ve used.

jojoA1
    Free Member

I've been told to use it for both soft and hard-shell jackets. Don't hard Shells also have to wick the moisture from the inside to the outside?

johnners
    Free Member

I don't think hard shells wick, it's vapour transfer by the time moisture's gone through base and/or mid layers but I'm really thinking specifically of Gore N2S stuff. I don't know if all soft shells are supposed to be worn next to the skin so it may not matter.

I'm sure I've seen wash-in recommended for 3-layer Goretex, but discouraged for 2 layer where there's usually a mesh liner of some kind, just so the mesh retains wicking ability.

Nikwax's site has this about TX Direct wash-in proofing –

Wash-in waterproofing for wet weather clothing
    Adds water-repellency and revives breathability to fabrics without wicking liners.

Suggests to me it shouldn't be used on anything that's supposed to do the wicking bit.

druidh
    Free Member

There's a specific Nikwax wash-in for soft shells – not the TX Direct

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Re-proofing a Gore Phantom jacket’ is closed to new replies.