Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Re-plastering after fitting double glazing, who is usually responsible?
  • Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Our hall has recently been re-plastered and an an arse-about-face fashion, we will be having a new front door fitted shortly.

Who is usually responsible for making good interior plasterwork after fitting windows & doors; the window/door company, or the homeowner?

Tom-B
    Free Member

The plasterer I’d guess?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

If someone actually visits to quote then it should be discussed & probably ‘all in’, however if your booking on line then down to you.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Tom B – Member

The plasterer I’d guess?

Your joking right?

project
    Free Member

Door fitters fit doors and plasteres plaster

2 skilled trades, and two or more people employed.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

It has to be stated at the start to be honest, if not its down to the homeowner im afraid

nealglover
    Free Member

The plasterer I’d guess?

Good luck with that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Whoever you pay to do it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Why would the plasterer make good what someone else had made bad 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes the person who fixed it last time is deffo responsible for the damage done by someone fitting a door at a later stage 😯

The people who do the damage fix it- you may need to discuss this with them

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What BlackPhilBigPool said! Should be agreed beforehand, otherwise you’re going to be looking at trying to persuade your plasterer to come back and make good once the house wreckers window fitters are done. 🙂

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

In fairness to window fitters, the can cut away the plaster before they take out the existing door so that a bead of mastic will cover the cut, but I doubt they all do that as standard 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They could I suppose. Or they could just mullock it out and fill the whole gap with expanding foam once they’re done. 😀

MarkLG
    Free Member

You need to discuss with the door fitter what is or isn’t included in the price.
    Either way I’d budget for getting the plasterer back for a day to do some patching when the door fitters are done.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Ahhh expanding foam and 80mm trims are a window throwers best pal lol

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Just ask as some fitters class trim and seal as extra and ive known some to charge extra to toe n heal ur openers ;/ but mostly they dont make good afterward.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m meant that the plasterer was responsible for the plastering! Sorry chaps! My beloved father is a plasterer so I get drawn to these threads….given Maggie’s dashed passing I am a little inebriated thus a stupid post!

Op, from what I can tell, it’s your bill to foot….

ptrockymountain
    Free Member

When a company take out an existing window or door and replace with new, it is the responsibility of the window fitter to make good to all external and internal finishes.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

ptrockymountain – Member

When a company take out an existing window or door and replace with new, it is the responsibility of the window fitter to make good to all external and internal finishes.

Maybe, in a gap-fill & trim kind of way, but decent companies like http://www.grpdesigns.co.uk will go the extra mile (well they did for me) certainly not anything like window fitters I have had in the past.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

We haven’t spoken to the door company about it but will broach the subject with them, with the expectation that they’ll tell us to go forth and multiply…in which case we’ll get the plasterer back.

Cheers all.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Rocky mountain, its a company policy and their choice as to “make good” where i work now we dont even sweep up or pack our gear away, the sub contractor tells his labour to do it for us, is that right??? No…. But its bloody brilliant for us!!!! Everybody is different and all op needs to do is ask

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

where i work now we dont even sweep up or pack our gear away, the sub contractor tells his labour to do it for us, is that right??? No…. But its bloody brilliant for us!!!!

I never knew it was such a highly skilled job that it required sub-contractors & labourers, were you double glazing the tower?

ptrockymountain
    Free Member

Your spot on 2unfit2ride fitting doors and windows isn’t a skilled job.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

ptrockymountain – Member

Your spot on 2unfit2ride fitting doors and windows isn’t a skilled job.

Hold on, I never said it wasn’t a skilled job, I merely questioned the use of sub-contractors & labourers.

tymbian
    Free Member

If it was perfectly plastered when the fitters came to quote then they should leave it in in a finished/ completed state. If it was a building site when they came to quote ( and by b-site I mean UN-plastered and in various state of repairs ) it would be logical for the fitter to think that you’ld wait before doors and windows were fitted before you plastered. If it was un-plastered when quoted but plastered when they came to fit then they would have to be very careful when removing the old and fitting the new and if they couldn’t remove or fit without damage then you should be made aware.

If they just went at it like a bull in a China shop then I’d deduct the repair cos off of their bill. I wouldnt want them back.

25+ years of self-employment here.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Lol i was fitting windows in the pvcu boom when every man and his dog jumped on it, i have worked in pipe fitting/plumbing and ventilation for years now as thats where my money lies, our firm work direct for well known pubs hotels and coffee and spicy chicken suppliers so the main contractors who do all the other trades have to clean up after us the mechanical lads as theyre just subbies

40mpg

I had my door and some windows done recently. As standard, they wanted to put pvc trims round to hide gaps/chips to the edge of the plaster.

I asked them if it was possible to not use trims. They said it depended on the quality of teh plaster. Fair play to them, they took extra care removing the old windows and fitted the new ones snug to the plaster edge with just a (very) thin mastic joint. There was one chunk of plaster which dropped out, which I said I’d fill myself.

Have a chat and see whet they reckon they can do. If they are a decent company and actually give a toss, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t get similar service. My guys got a tip (and have since been back to do some more windows).

crofts2007
    Free Member

I like the quote about extra charge for the heel and toeing of the openers, whichever monkey fitted my windows never bothered (didn’t know how), now all have dropped and can see daylight through the tops of some of them.
    Got to go round all of them and sort out!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Re-plastering after fitting double glazing, who is usually responsible?’ is closed to new replies.