Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Re-Joining a Shimano chain question
  • Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a new shimano chain that was joined with the special pin that they give you, but before the chain was used I had to split it, now my question is….can I just use a brand new pin (I have some spare) in the same hole the other pin was removed from, or is that hole now damaged due to removing the other pin, would I have to remove a link?

Thanks 😀

racing_ralph
    Free Member

new pin or powerlink

iainc

Powerlink would be easiest solution

mtbfix

As above, go to the lbs and blag a powerlink for 50p.

glenp
    Free Member

I've always just re-joined them in the old-fashioned way, with the regular pins that are part of the chain (not special joining pins) – as long as you're reasonable at using a chain tool it works fine.

turqoisedays
    Free Member

I wouldn't re-join a Shimano chain or any chain using the regular pins, that's asking for trouble, chances are that the link will be sticky as a result.These pins are usually made with a lip to stop the chain coming apart,when you remove them the lip is damaged meaning it's easier for the chain to snap.

I wouldn't use a Shimano connecting pin either because everytime you split the chain you need a new one plus the tools to replace it.The best method is the SRAM powerlink connector, tool free and can be re-used.

D0NK

If you split a normal link just rejoin it there or use one of the special pins if you have one. If you split the original special pin I would get rid of that link. Pretty sure those pins are designed not to be split.

I've split and rejoined shimano chains in the past no problem.

glenp
    Free Member

I realise you're not supposed to do it, and the reasons why – however, empirically, it does work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Re-Joining a Shimano chain question’ is closed to new replies.